Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Publishes ATI Catalyst 8.10 Beta

Phoronix: Canonical Publishes ATI Catalyst 8.11 Beta

X Server 1.5 was officially released last month with X.Org 7.4, but there had been server pre-releases going back to earlier this year. Fedora 9 had even shipped with an early version version of X Server 1.5. For those using the open-source X.Org drivers, running the latest server is not a big deal, but those with ATI or NVIDIA binary drivers they sometimes can be slow in supporting the latest version. NVIDIA has supported X Server 1.5 for a number of weeks now, but ATI has yet to update their Catalyst Linux driver with such support. With Ubuntu 8.10 being released in two weeks and it's using this newest X Server, how will ATI graphics cards be supported? Well, an interesting event has occurred and we will tell you what has happened in this article.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I didn't see this coming.

I was expecting to have to switch to xorg-driver-ati when I upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10. That may not have bothered me so much, because the latest version reportedly supports compositing on the Radeon Xpress 1100.

Comment

This is good news. If all goes well I'll be able to run glxears accelerated on Fedora 11 with my HD4850. Yeeeey!

Jokes aside, I'd like to see this happening more often. Given the amount of Ubuntu users, this could really help speed up the development of the driver.

Comment

I'm going to buy a new PC now. Let me test this beta driver and then decide wether is ATI or ATI the graphic card :P. Just to know if this driver behave well with my ATI X1400.

I always on Ubuntu so, I hope this works fine or else I'm going to stick to my laptop to play WoW.

Comment

Great move

But Michael, are you sure that you got the release streams right? Catalyst 8.8 was 8.52, 8.9 is 8.53 and so this driver is probably the Catalyst 8.10 driver (final driver I guess, or a Catalyst 8.10 hotfix). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am... quite sure.

Comment

Yea I think the article got the versions wrong. Or else that would also mean the if they need to ship the November driver for XServer 1.5 support, that the October still doesn't have it.

Comment

sweet! (ten characters)

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                But Michael, are you sure that you got the release streams right? Catalyst 8.8 was 8.52, 8.9 is 8.53 and so this driver is probably the Catalyst 8.10 driver (final driver I guess, or a Catalyst 8.10 hotfix). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am... quite sure.
                Yes, you are correct. There was a miscommunication. It should be fixed now.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

See my observation on an earlier topic. http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=12700&page=3

Shuttleworth is presenting Ubuntu + AMD as the killer alternative to the Wintel platform. I believe he thinks he can sell to the HPs and the Dells of this world as a lower cost, higher margin alternative. This is why he gets more preferential treatment than Phoronix, OpenSUSE or RedHat.

Comment

Is it possible that Catalyst 8.10 will be the beta on Catalyst 8.11? If yes, it's possible that the version of Ubuntu is not the really Catalyst 8.11 but Catalyst 8.10 beta.

Comment

Working...
                    X