No announcement yet.

Canonical Publishes ATI Catalyst 8.10 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And does _not_ include the x740* dirs! Not even 2.6.27 support! At least the old patch for 8-9 works...
    Last edited by Kano; 15 October 2008, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Hmm... 3D doesn't seem to work. "LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo" gives this:
      libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 8.54.3 fglrx (screen 0)
      libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so
      libGL error: driver exports no extensions (/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driDriverExtensions)
      libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
      libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Context)
      libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
      libGL error: reverting to indirect rendering
      I've managed to get this close to getting 3D acceleration again... Anyone know what's up with this?

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
        I agree, that's why I mentioned they should implement some sort of work-around for Textured Video, so that it does work in a composited environment. I would be satisified if they could just eliminate the flickering (through some hack or not, I don't care . What happens with the video window when using the open source driver in a composited environment, and you drag another window over it ? Do, for instance, the drop shadows render correctly onto the video ? If so, I would be really surprised .. But hey, AMD: eliminate the flickering, and I would be satisfied.

Oh, and just to be clear, have you tested both of these XVideo adaptors in a composited environment ? AFAIK, classic video overlay usually has dedicated video-hardware parts (older graphics cards) which works at a level above everything else (i.e. app/X just draws a certain color, and the GFX hardware scales and puts video images in the area covered by this color), while textured video uses, well 3D textures and the GPU .. I also have an older laptop with an Intel 915 graphics card in it, and this renders XVideo fine in a composited environment, using the Intel drivers. But rendering is not correct when the video window is partially covered by another window. Then you get artifacts/solid coloring where drop shadows should be, which proves that it is in fact a hack.
        I've tested it yes, since i use it daily (even openned a few bug reports for radeon).

here it how it works:

If i activate the first adaptor (XV) i get hardware 2d accelerated video, i can out windows over it, but the shadows etc arent rendered and if for example i use freewins (compiz rotaded window plugin) the video doesnt follow the window. Now is i use the second adaptor (textured video), i get 3d aceleratet video WITHOUT flickering and the windows+video respects the compositing, i can rotate the window + video, change opacity, etc etc.. quitte impressive.. i have all my video players configured for textured now.

So thats my point.. textured should be enough for fglrx but although fglrx suports textured for my rs485 it doesnt talk with the composite (dont know how the open source crowd did it).

Hope this clarifies things.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          No, the official Catalyst 8.10 is 8.54.2. Canonical is using 8.54.3.
          Nearly. Having been offline for over a week, I have a huge need to post anything, so here is some boring stuff:

Catalyst 8.10 Release/Final
          Release Identifier: 8.542
          Base Driver Version: 8.54.3

Catalyst 8.10 Hotfix
          Release Identifier: 8.543
          Base Driver Version: 8.54.3

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
            I've tested it yes, since i use it daily (even openned a few bug reports for radeon).

here it how it works:

If i activate the first adaptor (XV) i get hardware 2d accelerated video, i can out windows over it, but the shadows etc arent rendered and if for example i use freewins (compiz rotaded window plugin) the video doesnt follow the window. Now is i use the second adaptor (textured video), i get 3d aceleratet video WITHOUT flickering and the windows+video respects the compositing, i can rotate the window + video, change opacity, etc etc.. quitte impressive.. i have all my video players configured for textured now.

So thats my point.. textured should be enough for fglrx but although fglrx suports textured for my rs485 it doesnt talk with the composite (dont know how the open source crowd did it).

Hope this clarifies things.
            Yes it does, cool, I didn't know they've made textured video work that well with the open source radeon driver. How about OpenGL-applications in composited environment with the radeon-drivers, do they work just fine ? Just curious ..

Comment

Anyone have any clue as to what those of us getting compile errors for the kernel module should do?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
                Yes it does, cool, I didn't know they've made textured video work that well with the open source radeon driver. How about OpenGL-applications in composited environment with the radeon-drivers, do they work just fine ? Just curious ..
                No, for that you'll need DRI2.. should be good to go for xorg 1.6 (fingers crossed), airlie and friends are changing radeon to the new GEM api (actually they are wrapping TTM around it), so with a bit of luck, we might see DRI2 radeon drivers around early 2009.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
                  I've installed xorg-server-1.5 and ati-drivers-8.10 in gentoo, but I get the same error as with 8.9 (undefined symbol miZeroLineScreenIndex).
                  when do you get that error? on loading or when compiling?

Comment

Catalyst 8.10 does not support Xorg 7.4, Fran.

Comment

The driver (8.54.3) does not work for my sapphire 9600XT 128MB AGP card..back to driver 8.37..the last semi stable driver for my hardware..

The tests run:
                      - glxgears runs
                      - flight gear seems to work but there are gitters/pauses..not smooth..usable
                      - Lego StarWars II under wine 1.1.5 with useGLSL enabled..lines/triangles drawn to the center of screen. Also, gitters/pauses..not smooth..basically unusable
                      - video seems to work window/fullscreen but I see the cpu usage jump from 20% to 40%
                      - compile of wine does not cause random GCC crashes like the 8.9 driver did

BTW, I am not planning to upgrade my hardware until the bugs get worked out..or in other words I need to see a full functioning driver first before upgrading..still waiting four years later..

Cheers,
                      Gordy

System config:
                      SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT 128MB AGP (8x) - (ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600])
                      CRT 19" monitor: Philips 109B (109B10) with a resolution of 1600x1200 or 1280x1024
                      Motherboard: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe/ VIA K8T800 & VIA VT8237
                      Processor type: AMD64 3000+
                      Amount of memory: 1GB
                      Distro used: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (32-bit)
                      Kernel version: 2.6.22-15(.22)
                      Last edited by Gordy; 15 October 2008, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X