No announcement yet.

Canonical Publishes ATI Catalyst 8.10 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is anyone praising this? Distro companies have started implementing additional ways to get users on *their* distro, now it's "I've got the exclusive driver over here!"? Exclusivity is the exact opposite of being open. All Linux users should have equal access to drivers for their cards. This makes me not want to support AMD if they are going to try to help further segregate the Linux platform. AMD should have a developer site of some sort where this driver is available, and everyone should be able to get it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      Why is anyone praising this? Distro companies have started implementing additional ways to get users on *their* distro, now it's "I've got the exclusive driver over here!"? Exclusivity is the exact opposite of being open. All Linux users should have equal access to drivers for their cards. This makes me not want to support AMD if they are going to try to help further segregate the Linux platform. AMD should have a developer site of some sort where this driver is available, and everyone should be able to get it from there.
      I don't think it's "I've got the exclusive driver over here!". Ubuntu is the first of the major distros that all release new version within the next months. And all of them will be using XServer 1.5. For example if another distro would have been out end of October instead Ubuntu, they would have gotten the new "beta" driver.

Comment

error on intrepid

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build modules
        make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
        CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.o
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: In function ?__ke_printk?:
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:1915: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: In function ?__ke_vm_phys_addr_str?:
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:3522: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:3523: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:3524: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:3526: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: In function ?KCL_enable_pat?:
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:4063: error: too many arguments to function ?smp_call_function?
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: In function ?KCL_disable_pat?:
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:4082: error: too many arguments to function ?smp_call_function?
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: At top level:
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:5774: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
        /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:5800: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
        make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.o] Error 1
        make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build] Error 2
        make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
        make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
          I don't think it's "I've got the exclusive driver over here!". Ubuntu is the first of the major distros that all release new version within the next months. And all of them will be using XServer 1.5. For example if another distro would have been out end of October instead Ubuntu, they would have gotten the new "beta" driver.
          It doesn't appear to actually BE a beta driver. Its published on amd's website. Someone at canonical probably just got lucky when browsing around AMD's ftp.

And the fact is that this is just when the driver is due. Its the first AMD driver released more than a couple of days after xserver 1.5.

Comment

Anyone tested the tearing with video and compiz/kwin 3d?

Did they finally fixed it? (open source radeon (xf86-ati) fixed this eons ago, they even have xv AND texturedvideo suport across the 200 up to 600 series).

I'll just install it if/when this gets fixed, otherwise i'm very happy with the open source driver, the only downside is the lack of a memory manager ence 1.3 opengl only but this is about to change with GEM go open source radeon team!

Comment

It's officially released now, at least. And is it just me, or has scrolling performance in Firefox w/Compiz been vastly improved in this release ? I'm on an X1400 mobile radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by biasquez View Post
                make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build modules
                make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
                CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.o
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: In function ?__ke_printk?:
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:1915: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: In function ?__ke_vm_phys_addr_str?:
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:3522: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:3523: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:3524: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:3526: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: In function ?KCL_enable_pat?:
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:4063: error: too many arguments to function ?smp_call_function?
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: In function ?KCL_disable_pat?:
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:4082: error: too many arguments to function ?smp_call_function?
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c: At top level:
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:5774: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
                /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.c:5800: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
                make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/firegl_public.o] Error 1
                make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build] Error 2
                make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
                make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
                Ditto. Anyone know why this is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by nnotimportant View Post
                  It doesn't appear to actually BE a beta driver. Its published on amd's website. Someone at canonical probably just got lucky when browsing around AMD's ftp.

And the fact is that this is just when the driver is due. Its the first AMD driver released more than a couple of days after xserver 1.5.
                  No, the official Catalyst 8.10 is 8.54.2. Canonical is using 8.54.3.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

xv/textured video?

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
                    It's officially released now, at least. And is it just me, or has scrolling performance in Firefox w/Compiz been vastly improved in this release ? I'm on an X1400 mobile radeon.
                    How about xv/textured video?
                    if you do a xvinfo does it show anything?
                    Does it tear when playing video with mplayer/xine/whatever? Or does it just work with the X11 driver?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
                      I can confirm the scrolling. Didn't notice any real difference between the open-source driver and fglrx. Haven't owned an ATI card in a while, so I just thougth it was due to my more powerfull machine.

Haven't tested any video playing, but at least Flash video playback (tested on YouTube) seemed to be kinda choppy/slow/laggy. Funnily enough it actually seem to run smoother fullscreen, than in the normal size.

Comment

Working...
                      X