No announcement yet.

Canonical Publishes ATI Catalyst 8.10 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this driver good for if it doesn't support 7.4? I thought this should go into Intrepid which uses 7.4 right?

Code:
    irrlicht@home:~/Documents/ati$ sudo dpkg -i fglrx-kernel-source_8.542-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb 
    Selecting previously deselected package fglrx-kernel-source.                             
    (Reading database ... 182769 files and directories currently installed.)                 
    Unpacking fglrx-kernel-source (from fglrx-kernel-source_8.542-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...    
    Setting up fglrx-kernel-source (2:8.542-0ubuntu1) ...                                    
    Adding Module to DKMS build system                                                       
    Doing initial module build                                                               

Error!  Build of fglrx.ko failed for: 2.6.27-7-generic (x86_64)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory                    
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.542/build/ for more information.         
    Installing initial module                                      

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko for module fglrx in the DKMS tree.
    You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (x86_64) first.
    Done.
    Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      when do you get that error? on loading or when compiling?
      When trying to start X. It compiles fine (but only with the patch for 2.6.27 kernels).

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Catalyst 8.10 does not support Xorg 7.4, Fran.
      So it seems. I assumed that the official version would be the same as the ubuntu version released earlier. This is perfect, is ubuntu the only distribution that supports fglrx + xorg-server-1.5 now? WTF?

Comment

You can use the multiverse repository with intrepid but not 8-10 final.

Comment

I cannot load the driver on my laptop with a mobility 9700 :/
          [ 3638.630594] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
          [ 3638.713007] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1896 MBytes.
          [ 3638.714365] [fglrx:drm_alloc] *ERROR* [driver] Allocating 0 bytes
          [ 3638.714377] [fglrx:firegl_init_device_list] *ERROR* Out of memory when allocating device heads
          [ 3638.714389] [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_init_devices failed

Comment

My $0.02 about running 8.542 on a Debian Thinkpad with ATI X1400:

* Builds and installs nicely on Debian/Sid i386.
            * mplayer plays Big Buck Bunny 1080p MP4 great using -vo xv (but how can we use UVD?)
            * glxgears fps is down from about 4200 in 8.9 to 3000-3500
            * Can not exit fullscreen Nexuiz, mouse moves but no desktop.
            * Compiz is still unusable due to painfully slow window resizing (does anyone know if there are any hacks to improve this?) and flickering video

While video is more important than 3D for me and does seem to perform just fine when compositing is off, I still have to confirm that ATI's fglrx driver remains among the biggest obstacles for achieving Linux on the desktop. The driver is so rough around the edges and still prone to unpredictable regressions in each release. But least it feels like there is a trend towards releasing slightly improved (on average) drivers since AMD got involved.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
              While video is more important than 3D for me and does seem to perform just fine when compositing is off, I still have to confirm that ATI's fglrx driver remains among the biggest obstacles for achieving Linux on the desktop. The driver is so rough around the edges and still prone to unpredictable regressions in each release. But least it feels like there is a trend towards releasing slightly improved (on average) drivers since AMD got involved.
              I totally agree with you. 99% problems that I meet using linux on my desktop are caused by very poor fglrx driver quality. I've been buying only ATI cards since they released Radeon 7500. But looking at the driver's extremely slow progress I guess 4850 is the last ATI card I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Note that it's 8.542 and not 8.543.
                [ 580.240478] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.54.3

says the module from the driver I downloaded from amd's website.

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
                  Anyone tested the tearing with video and compiz/kwin 3d?

Did they finally fixed it? (open source radeon (xf86-ati) fixed this eons ago, they even have xv AND texturedvideo suport across the 200 up to 600 series).

I don't know what you're talking about with the "up to 600 series" quote.

According to http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature R600 (what I have)
                  has none of these features implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
                    How about xv/textured video?
                    if you do a xvinfo does it show anything?
                    Does it tear when playing video with mplayer/xine/whatever? Or does it just work with the X11 driver?

Cheers.
                    The Ubuntu version, whatever that really is, returns this from xvinfo:
                    X-Video Extension version 2.2
                    screen #0
                    Adaptor #0: "ATI Radeon AVIVO Video"
                    number of ports: 4
                    port base: 131
                    operations supported: PutImage
                    supported visuals:
                    depth 24, visualID 0x23
                    depth 24, visualID 0x24
                    depth 24, visualID 0x25
                    Lots and lots more up to 0x72

Comment

Hello everyone, is there a way gentoo users can have that "hotfix" version of the 8.10 driver release ?, because i can not find it, can someone write the URL for the package of the "hotfix" for Ubuntu for 64 Bit ?, so i can extract the binary parts and place them by hand on my system, thanks by the way.

Comment

Working...
                      X