No announcement yet.

Canonical Publishes ATI Catalyst 8.10 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried your script Kano, it installs without problems, but I couldnt get gdm to work. I've received error saying fglrx couldnt be loaded. So as for now I'll stick to the repos 8.11 beta ;x

Comment

• Is this possible that

ati-driver-installer-8-10-x86.x86_64.run == 8.54.3

Because I found that version number in my amdcccle (Catalyst Control Center)

I used the 8.10 from AMD Website on Arch Linux/2.6.27 (with patch) and XServer 1.4.2

I think the 8.10 ist the best driver ever for me. Better 2D and 3D Performance.
      Last edited by thacrazze; 17 October 2008, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Can someone please rename this thread? Whatever there is in the Ubuntu repositories, it's obviously not a beta of the 8.10 driver!

After reading about this beta driver being available, I finally upgraded to Intrepid. Stupid me. How could I *not* assume that ATI would mess it up?

R300 support seems to be broken. Trying to insert the fglrx kernel module results in a "Out of memory" error message. Knowing ATI I expect this bug to be fixed in 2-3 months.

Do I sound bitter?

Edit: Here's what my kernel log had to say about this:
        Code:
        Oct 17 10:02:37 Cuthbert kernel: [ 1272.043824] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1169 MBytes.
        Oct 17 10:02:37 Cuthbert kernel: [ 1272.045842] [fglrx:drm_alloc] *ERROR* [driver] Allocating 0 bytes
        Oct 17 10:02:37 Cuthbert kernel: [ 1272.045860] [fglrx:firegl_init_device_list] *ERROR* Out of memory when allocating device heads
        Oct 17 10:02:37 Cuthbert kernel: [ 1272.045868] [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_init_devices failed
        Last edited by Stormking; 19 October 2008, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• well, using gentoo does have its advantages.

Comment

• Stormking...exactly how were you trying to install FGLRX into Intrepid?

Comment

• Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
              Stormking...exactly how were you trying to install FGLRX into Intrepid?
              Via the Synaptic package manager.

Comment

• I couldn't get FGLRX to work that way, either.

What worked for me was to start the system with the radeonhd driver (vesa would work, too) then purge (remove completely) the existing FGLRX files using Synaptic. When that was done reboot (to ensure the last vestiges of FGLRX are well and truly gone) and this time let restricted driver manager install FGLRX. That worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by thacrazze View Post
                  I used the 8.10 from AMD Website on Arch Linux/2.6.27 (with patch) and XServer 1.4.2
                  what patch? i need.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
                    I couldn't get FGLRX to work that way, either.

What worked for me was to start the system with the radeonhd driver (vesa would work, too) then purge (remove completely) the existing FGLRX files using Synaptic. When that was done reboot (to ensure the last vestiges of FGLRX are well and truly gone) and this time let restricted driver manager install FGLRX. That worked.
                    I cannot load the kernel module. What exactly could the restricted driver manager have done differently about that?

I will - of course - try that. I just don't think there will be any difference.
                    Last edited by Stormking; 20 October 2008, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Possibly not, but make sure you purge the kernel module that failed to load before letting the restricted driver manager run.

Opnote: The first time I used restricted driver manager to load FGLRX I was on a 32-bit installation.

Yesterday I built a 64-bit installation of Intrepid on the same hardware. The hardware detection does not appear to work quite like it did on the 32-bit side. After working with the machine for awhile with nothing happening on the video driver front I installed FGLRX with Synaptic. That downloaded the .deb files, but did not actually install any of the driver components.

A reboot brought the machine up with the radeon/ATI driver again, but some minutes later Restricted Driver Manager popped up to inform that a restricted driver was available and selecting enable at that point completed the installation/configuration of the the FGLRX driver.

I think this a bit odd, but the installation _is_ now using FGLRX and all indications are nominal. BTW...Compiz is enabled by the driver automatically at "normal."

Comment

Working...
                      X