Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yfrwlf
    replied
    @cruise: Like was stated, AMD is helping out, to some degree, with the RadeonHD driver for instance, but regardless it's easy to make the claim that you're making but it's possible you're right. But, it also could just be that it's low priority for them because Linux still has low market share for several reasons (some of which are unfair, some should be downright illegal IMO, like forcing Windows to come as a package with new computers). Either way, yes, Linux does get the shaft, whether it's intentionally not getting very much help or not. AMD is giving a lot of same day support of their hardware for Linux in their closed source side though, but so has Nvidia to some degree. AMD's open source side has improved much more than Nvidia's open source side though, so it's not all just BS PR.

Leave a comment:

• cruiseoveride
    replied
    hahaha

the good, the bad, the fglrx
    nice one!

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    They are fooling us, because in 2 years I don't know what to do with an HD 2600 XT gpu. so in the mean time they convince us they are "good" and are working so we buy their cards.
    i don't think so - the drivers are catching up more quickly to newly released cards.

just because the 3d docs aren't available yet doesn't mean that it will be the same for every next generation of cards.

once first 3d documentation will be out it will be much easier for ati to release subsequent 3d docs for next generations of their cards. right now the people preparing the docs have to pass them for IP review, because they don't know for 100% what can they release and what they cannot.

btw i don't the the
    in 2 years I don't know what to do with an HD 2600 XT gpu
    part. will your card die or something?
    i still have an x300se card around and it's quite useful for me. what year did it come out, again?
    Last edited by yoshi314; 14 October 2008, 01:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• he_the_great
    replied
    Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    I've got a theory.

What if AMD is just playing us? So that we only get full support long after the hardware is made obsolete?
    I'm going to take a different approach to this than, bridgman.

The posting was on RadeonHD drives. My understanding from phoronix is that it is headed by RedHat folks and the like, not AMD. On top of that, they have already been given NDA spec documentation before any public release.

On the fglrx side of things, it supports the new hardware, just as well it does the old. It does not have CrossfireX support for the 4xxx series, nor any of the predecessors.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I've got a theory. What if AMD is just playing us? So that we only get full support long after the hardware is made obsolete?
    That would make my life a lot easier. We could stop working on HD4xxx and just worry about the older R600 info. Most of the effort would be the same, but it sure would be easier for me. It's not what we are doing though...

Years have gone by since the 26xx and 38xxx hardware was released.
    I think the HD2xxx launched in May '07 (just over a year) and the first HD3xxx launched in Nov '07 (less than a year). Remember that we had to get init & modesetting support out for the HD3xxx and HD4xxxx along the way. Initial info release was in early Sep '07, followed by 5xx 3D support in late Feb (about 6 months). The 6xx/7xx 3D engine is all new and much more complicated, and we're coming up on 8 months right now. From that point on I think we should be largely "caught up".

Anyways this is all just a conspiracy. So dont get your underwear in a twist.
    Just a conspiracy *theory*, right ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 14 October 2008, 12:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    I've got a theory.

What if AMD is just playing us? So that we only get full support long after the hardware is made obsolete?

Take Creative Labs for example, with no Linux support for the X-Fi, everyone hated on Creative. But they never supported Linux in the first place, so why was everyone pissed at Creative all of a sudden? Because they never took an active approach to supporting Linux. A year goes by (ie, hardware going obsolete) and they release a binary driver. But people still hate CLabs.

Now our guys at AMD, no one is really hating on them (except a few like me, who should really stop buying their shit, but get persuaded too easily). Why doesnt anyone hate AMD like they hated Creative? AMD never supported Linux before. I'll tell you why, by giving us the perception that their is active development, people shutup. And wait patiently. But the end result is identical to the X-Fi situation. Years have gone by since the 26xx and 38xxx hardware was released. But there is still only pathetic X-Fi like support on Linux. Yet people dont hate AMD as much as Creative for they perceive AMD as trying to help.

If i wore a hat, I'd take it off for the AMD PR Manager.

oh finally someone that thinks it like I do.

I already said on IRC #phoronix channel: Amd is taking more time to release specs than Dante Alighieri took to write the Divine Commedy.

They are fooling us, because in 2 years I don't know what to do with an HD 2600 XT gpu. so in the mean time they convince us they are "good" and are working so we buy their cards.

phoronix should start to say these things and get a political/economic view about this shit, always of course if phoronix considers this as shit.

Leave a comment:

• cruiseoveride
    replied
    I've got a theory.

Take Creative Labs for example, with no Linux support for the X-Fi, everyone hated on Creative. But they never supported Linux in the first place, so why was everyone pissed at Creative all of a sudden? Because they never took an active approach to supporting Linux. A year goes by (ie, hardware going obsolete) and they release a binary driver. But people still hate CLabs.

Now our guys at AMD, no one is really hating on them (except a few like me, who should really stop buying their shit, but get persuaded too easily). Why doesnt anyone hate AMD like they hated Creative? AMD never supported Linux before. I'll tell you why, by giving us the perception that their is active development, people shutup. And wait patiently. But the end result is identical to the X-Fi situation. Years have gone by since the 26xx and 38xxx hardware was released. But there is still only pathetic X-Fi like support on Linux. Yet people dont hate AMD as much as Creative for they perceive AMD as trying to help.

If i wore a hat, I'd take it off for the AMD PR Manager.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Hmm, I'm getting tempted to pull out my 690G mobo and use that. I'm a little tired of waiting for 2D accel for my 780G.

Leave a comment:

• Louise
    replied
    Just wondering. With all the specs AMD releases, is the 3D specs for R600/R700 the only one left there the IP haven't been resolved yet?

Bridgeman mentioned in the power saving thread that the power saving specs might be a problem to release...

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    I'm thinking a KMS driver for startup and switching to the proprietary one when X loads... Is this possible?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X