X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard they had a few novel guys on the payroll

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
      Maybe because Novell doesn't do hardware?
      But Tungsten Graphics specialize in writing drivers. They are doing the Intel drivers and one for the Cell BE too.

Comment

compilation error (radeonhd from git, debian etch / RADEONHD: version 1.2.1, built from git branch master, commit 299a6c86
        - worx fine )

In file included from rhd_helper.c:45:
        /usr/include/sys/types.h:62: error: conflicting types for 'xf86dev_t'
        /usr/include/xorg/xf86_libc.h:87: error: previous declaration of 'xf86dev_t' was here
        /usr/include/sys/types.h:110: error: conflicting types for 'xf86ssize_t'
        /usr/include/xorg/xf86_libc.h:86: error: previous declaration of 'xf86ssize_t' was here
        /usr/include/sys/types.h:151: error: duplicate 'unsigned'

Comment

You need the latest xserver and mesa. There is a list of dependencies on the x.org website. And an order in which you need to build them.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy View Post
            compilation error (radeonhd from git, debian etch / RADEONHD: version 1.2.1, built from git branch master, commit 299a6c86
            - worx fine )

/usr/include/sys/types.h:62: error: conflicting types for 'xf86dev_t'
            /usr/include/xorg/xf86_libc.h:87: error: previous declaration of 'xf86dev_t' was here
            /usr/include/sys/types.h:110: error: conflicting types for 'xf86ssize_t'
            /usr/include/xorg/xf86_libc.h:86: error: previous declaration of 'xf86ssize_t' was here
            /usr/include/sys/types.h:151: error: duplicate 'unsigned'
            master should contain a fix for that now. Hopefully. Though I don't exactly understand why you're running in this case and I'm not

No, you don't necessarily need the latest Xorg bits for building radeonhd. We try to stay backwards compatible (it builds at least on Xorg 6.9).

Comment

Originally posted by mshopf View Post
              master should contain a fix for that now.
              thank you.

it was compiled without any errors now.

Comment

If there was no "Linux Thing", I would have thought that Ati cards are really good.
                Now I can only regret to say: BUY nVIDIA, if you wanna better LINUX Support. Don't make my mistake. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by Xtigyro View Post
                  If there was no "Linux Thing", I would have thought that Ati cards are really good.
                  Now I can only regret to say: BUY nVIDIA, if you wanna better LINUX Support. Don't make my mistake. Really.
                  That is a very short sighted recommendation.

Buy Intel or ATi.
                  Accept that everything sucks right now.
                  Know that change is coming.

Comment

short sited? what are you blind? NVIDIA supports linux from years! at least 7 years!!!! and their drivers are everything but shity like FGLRX! how can you dare say such a stupid thing! and don't forget that NVIDIA does also great drivers for Solaris and FreeBSD.

so don't even try to put AMD = NVIDIA. that's more stupid than saying Windows is more secure than Linux.

and to the guy that said if my card will die in 2 years, what the hell do you want? if I want to upgrade my card in 2 years I can't? and where do you find the courage to say that next releases will be faster!!!! I think you see to much cows flying in the sky. look at reality my friend and stop dreaming.
                    I look at facts, not dream. current situation of amd on linux = shit. current situation of nvidia on linux = couldn't ask anything better, and if there is an issue they will fix it as they've always done.

Comment

I have an nVidia 8400m gs, it doesn't suspend reliably, it crashes whenever I load a 3d application, the manufacturing was crap so I had to patch my BIOS just to keep it from killing itself, It doesn't have DRI2 so I can't use 3d screensaver desktop backgrounds with compiz, it doesn't have kernel mode setting so the boot-up is an ugly parade of text, it doesn't have documentation, and if nVidia doesn't fix these things, there's nothing anyone can do about it at all!

The past is nice for some things but for myself I could care less about anything but the present and the future. If this Ubuntu Dell would have had an ATi option, I would have gone with it in a femtosecond.

Perhaps the 8.10 drivers will change my mind.
                      Perhaps not.
                      ...I admit it's more likely that they will.. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                      X