AMD Developer Posts More Patches For RADV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

That actually brings an interesting angle as to whether radv will in the end be less maintenance if it shares a lot of code with the existing Mesa GL drivers
    There are no plans for AMD to officially support RADV to my knowledge. The openGL and Vulkan for AMDGPU-PRO, AFAIK, is based on the same source as the Windows driver, thus very easy to support due to the shared os development. I would doubt that AMD will ever officially support RADV, due to the plans to open source the Vulkan driver. Maintaining two drivers, such as what is happening with the openGL driver right now, is not likely desired. This is the motivation behind the ROCM openCL driver, rather than supporting the mesa openCL driver.

Or at least I believe this is the case.

Comment

to making use of more shared/common code with RadeonSI Gallium3D.
      Am I correct in understanding that:

- AMDGPU is the kernel driver
      - RadeonSI is the user-space driver for AMDGPU and is part of Mesa
      - Gallium3D is a Mesa framework in which RadeonSI is based

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.2377 View Post

- AMDGPU is the kernel driver
        - RadeonSI is the user-space driver for AMDGPU and is part of Mesa

- RadeonSI is the user-space driver for both the radeon and AMDGPU kernel drivers and is part of Mesa
        - radeon kernel driver is still the default for older cards gcn 1.0 and 1.1 although AMDGPU has experimental support for them
        - AMDGPU is the path forward for all newer cards
        - XOrg has separate drivers for AMDGPU and radeon kernel drivers

EDIT: Updated after kisak noted my mistakes.
        Last edited by boombatower; 18 May 2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
          Maybe RADV turned out so well that they will just adopt it?

Fingers crossed.
          fingers crossed for moving fixes from amd vulkan to radv via radeons lol?
          i would like your self-punishing wish to be fulfilled, if it would be possible to do so without affecting me. unfortunately, it is not possible, so no, we will not see idiotic solutions just to please you

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            It is crystal clear that RADV is now *the* Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver!
            it was always like that, because amd vulkan was not intended to become part of mesa. mesa is opengl library.
            It will be a cold day in hell before the Mesa developers will throw out their own baby and substitute it with a big hairy AMD code drop.
            in some imaginary world where you have infinite amount of mesa developers with infinite amount of salaries
            When/if AMD release their code, it may provide some "inspiration", but at this time I no longer believe it will ever get into Mesa. AMD blew the chance to have a single universal Vulkan driver for their chips.
            you are delusional. amd has single universal vulkan driver for their chips. it works across operating systems and across all their cards. and its development is funded by other (non-linux)99% of amd customers. radv "works" only on linux and only on two cards
            By the way, how is it going with DC/DAL?? (We really miss HDMI audio on Tonga...)
            why do you need big hairy AMD code drop lol?
            Last edited by pal666; 18 May 2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              That actually brings an interesting angle as to whether radv will in the end be less maintenance if it shares a lot of code with the existing Mesa GL drivers
              radv in the end will be infinitely more maintenance because it shares zero code with windows vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.2377 View Post

Gallium3D is a mesa framework for Radeon, rasberri pi, and noveuou drivers. It allows them to share significant amounts of code together.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  it was always like that, because amd vulkan was not intended to become part of mesa. mesa is opengl library.
                  Uhm... Both RADV and Intels Vulkan drivers are part of Mesa. There is no other "Vulkanesa" for AMDs driver to be part of.

you are delusional. amd has single universal vulkan driver for their chips. it works across operating systems and across all their cards. and its development is funded by other (non-linux)99% of amd customers. radv "works" only on linux and only on two cards
                  Pot calling kettle black. RADV is now the Linux driver going forward. The "Pro" AMD driver will be for "Pro" user only.

why do you need big hairy AMD code drop lol?
                  Did you smell the sarcasm?

Comment

Uhm... Both RADV and Intels Vulkan drivers are part of Mesa. There is no other "Vulkanesa" for AMDs driver to be part of.

Pot calling kettle black. RADV is now the Linux driver going forward. The "Pro" AMD driver will be for "Pro" user only.

Did you smell the sarcasm?
                    Also the funny bit is that once kernel support for early gcn chips for amdgpu goes mainstream, having radv support them too will probably happen fast. AMD's own Vulkan driver needs that too so not much difference

Comment

This is non-news.

It's just us being good open source citizens and sharing code between radeonsi and radv where it makes sense. This has been happening for a while.

The AMD Vulkan driver will be its own open source project independent of Mesa.

The "Pro" AMD driver will be for "Pro" user only.
                      The AMD open source Vulkan driver will not be Pro only.

Comment

Working...
                      X