Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Developer Posts More Patches For RADV

Phoronix: AMD Developer Posts More Patches For RADV

The state of the open-source RADV Vulkan driver remains rather murky with it not officially being supported by AMD while the company continues to back its still-proprietary multi-platform Vulkan driver with no signs of when it may be open-sourced, but an AMD developer posted some fresh RADV patches today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe RADV turned out so well that they will just adopt it?

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Fingers crossed.
      I would think that he was checking out the 'competition' and saw some easy wins

Comment

Either that or they are slipping in the parts of their own vulkan source that have passed review. much easier to get your vulkan code in when you do it bit by bit rather than a large code drop!

Comment

This was just de-duplicating some code and using a shared path, means fixes from now on benefit RADV and radeonsi

Comment

"Murky"? It is crystal clear that RADV is now *the* Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver! It will be a cold day in hell before the Mesa developers will throw out their own baby and substitute it with a big hairy AMD code drop.
            When/if AMD release their code, it may provide some "inspiration", but at this time I no longer believe it will ever get into Mesa. AMD blew the chance to have a single universal Vulkan driver for their chips.
            By the way, how is it going with DC/DAL?? (We really miss HDMI audio on Tonga...)

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Fingers crossed.
              From what I know internally, the plan is to still continue with open sourcing the PRO stack's Vulkan implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                When/if AMD release their code, it may provide some "inspiration", but at this time I no longer believe it will ever get into Mesa.
                AMD never planned to include their Vulkan driver into mesa. It will be a separate driver as it does not share code with mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                  AMD never planned to include their Vulkan driver into mesa. It will be a separate driver as it does not share code with mesa.
                  That actually brings an interesting angle as to whether radv will in the end be less maintenance if it shares a lot of code with the existing Mesa GL drivers

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

That actually brings an interesting angle as to whether radv will in the end be less maintenance if it shares a lot of code with the existing Mesa GL drivers
                    Well, here the bits are related to gpu detection or version information and not really any graphics. I doubt they'll share any graphics related code, at least not until they decide to replace Gallium, if that ever happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X