Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev Yields Noticeable Advantages For Radeon Gamers On Ubuntu 17.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance seemed better back in August. Those benchmarks were with Ultra settings. Was there a regression or is it due to a change in test methodology?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
      RADV had afaik until now far less man-power than the openGL optimization devs.
      actually radv had more
      However RADV git is now at least faster than radeonSI on "out of the box ubuntu 17.04".
      radv competes not with radeonsi, but with amd vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I think it's the threaded gallium work that Marek recently committed. He said something in the commits about it may regress on older kernels that didn't have the memory management code optimized to handle things as well, so I assume that's what we're seeing here with the 4.10 kernel.
        does it affect radeon module?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          actually radv had more
          how are 2 people coding in their free time on RADV more man power than AMDs full time radeonSI team?

Comment

Michael which GCN scheduler are you using? The default? Have you tried the sisched one? R600_DEBUG=sisched?

Comment

That explains what I was seeing with my Fury X. I built Mesa from source earlier in the week, and ran it against my 4.10 kernel. The results were far worse than plain Mesa 17.1, so I rolled the update back (well, back to 17.1 with the Dying Light patches). Guess it's time to build a new kernel and re-test! Thanks Michael.

Comment

What about radeon gamers using the radeon kernel module?

Comment

Originally posted by Exordium01 View Post
                  Isn't that a regression in Bioshock Infinite from Summer/Fall 2016? The R9 Fury should be getting those framerates on Ultra.
                  many wrapper-ports like this one were cpu bound and would reach same fps regardless of normal or ultra. maybe this is still the case with bioshock. but hart to say cause michael does not bench it as frequently as in the past

Comment

how are 2 people coding in their free time on RADV more man power than AMDs full time radeonSI team?
                    lol, "AMDs full time radeonSI team" is marek, airlied is working on radv in his paid time and there are more than two people working on radv
                    Last edited by pal666; 18 May 2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      lol, "AMDs full time radeonSI team" is marek, airlied is working on radv in his paid time and there are more than two people working on radv
                      Marek and Nicolai both work on radeonsi, along with some Valve people contributing some time, shader cache and KHR_no_error help radeonsi. I don't work full time on radv, but it's quite a lot of my time at present, Bas works spare time, and we've had a few contributions outside of that (Fredrik and Feral).

Comment

Working...
                      X