Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev Yields Noticeable Advantages For Radeon Gamers On Ubuntu 17.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev Yields Noticeable Advantages For Radeon Gamers On Ubuntu 17.04

Phoronix: Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev Yields Noticeable Advantages For Radeon Gamers On Ubuntu 17.04

While Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" was just released one month ago, by upgrading the Linux kernel and Mesa you can already score measurable performance advantages if you are using AMD Radeon graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Team Fortress 2 only saw small gains in performance with these updates.
    I disagree, a 10% improvement from the first to the last test is quite a big gain.

Comment

Really nice to see Radv Vulkan improving so much in Dota 2. Hopefully it will catch up to the OpenGL Renderer soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kohrias View Post
        Really nice to see Radv Vulkan improving so much in Dota 2. Hopefully it will catch up to the OpenGL Renderer soon.
        At the rate openGL is improved this is a really hard catch up. RADV had afaik until now far less man-power than the openGL optimization devs. However RADV git is now at least faster than radeonSI on "out of the box ubuntu 17.04".

Comment

Thanks Michael. It would be interesting a current Nvidia closed drivers 1060 vs an open drivers 580.

Comment

wow those Dota 2 Vulkan gains!!

With Valve devs working on the game and RadV at the same time, maybe we should not be surprised...
            Last edited by humbug; 17 May 2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Title can be misleading depending on how you interpret "Radeon" in it.

Comment

Isn't that a regression in Bioshock Infinite from Summer/Fall 2016? The R9 Fury should be getting those framerates on Ultra.

Comment

Is it safe to assume that mesa 17.2 needs kernel 4.11+ in order to work properly?

Can anyone explain me why? I didn't know that mesa is affected by the kernel used...

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosRules View Post
                    Is it safe to assume that mesa 17.2 needs kernel 4.11+ in order to work properly?

Can anyone explain me why? I didn't know that mesa is affected by the kernel used...
                    I think it's the threaded gallium work that Marek recently committed. He said something in the commits about it may regress on older kernels that didn't have the memory management code optimized to handle things as well, so I assume that's what we're seeing here with the 4.10 kernel.

It should be pretty easy to disable threaded gallium on old kernels if that is indeed the issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X