Radeon's ROCm OpenCL Runtime Finally Open-Sourced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    1) Driver is useless without firmware, so it effectively is.
    That mahes about as much sense as saying that a CPUs instruction set is part of a driver.
    2) yes. At that point it becomes hardware.
    Personally id rather see blob free myself, however your arguements make no sense to me.

Comment

This is really going off the deep end here.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It is about respect to some group of people in this case Free/Libre, because who does not give respect to others should not expect any kind respect in return also
      This has nothing to do with respect!!! I really don't understand people that claim disrespect when they don't get their way. There simply isn't enough info here to claim to know AMD's motivation for any blob that might be there. Considering their efforts so far with open source, standards and the like, i really don't believe that AMD is willfully thumbing their noses at the open source community.

Stating something as friendly to Free/Libre, but everybody knows their stance on blob matters is already is total disrespect
      That is total garbage. What do you want next, the source code to the hardware? There are real limits to what a company like AMD can do and continue to survive as a company. Lets face it some really bad moves over the last few years have put them in bad shape. Simply put they have to keep certain aspects of their GPUs secret to survive. This has nothing to do with respect of a community.

The Libre movement should be happy that AMD is doing as much as they are. More is better of course but who can we go to that is dramatically better?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        That is total garbage. What do you want next, the source code to the hardware?
        It isn't about me, it is if you claim something Free/Libre friendly it must align to their POV that is all...

There are real limits to what a company like AMD can do and continue to survive as a company. Lets face it some really bad moves over the last few years have put them in bad shape. Simply put they have to keep certain aspects of their GPUs secret to survive. This has nothing to do with respect of a community.

The Libre movement should be happy that AMD is doing as much as they are. More is better of course but who can we go to that is dramatically better?
        I didn't said anything about AMD there, but about someone who editing columns on that link.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...424#post951424

So that is only what i complain here, do you see there "Driver status > Free/Libre > Yes"? instead of Yes that shoud be No (blob firmware required).

This has nothing to do with respect!!!
        It is about respect, as from that POV you don't say Yes and then sneaks some blobs in Instead with 'No (blob firmwares required)' everything is clarified fine.
        Last edited by dungeon; 13 May 2017, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.2377 View Post
          There is enough (imo) C++ support in recent OpenCL versions to be productive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL#OpenCL_2.2
          I'd like to ask Bridgman what are the current expectations to support OpenCL v2.1 or v2.2 now. Marc Driftmeyer has already expressed some concern regarding this but it went unanswered.

I too have a SI card (the R9 280x) but I'm optimistic that ROCm can be made to work with it, given enough time.

Last I checked it was abandoned...
          Well, found this: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...rackers/clover
          Will definitely test later.

Comment

it should say "No(firmware required)"
            it shouldn't, since firmware is a hardware's implementation detail

Comment

1) Driver is useless without firmware, so it effectively is.
              driver is useless without hardware, so?
              2) yes. At that point it becomes hardware.
              only idiot prefers his hardware to be unfixable

Comment

If it is not, why you use it? Why not remove it?
                why do you use hardware? who not remove it? idiotic question, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  As far as i understand it OCL is C
                  your understanding is outdated. opencl is c++14

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it shouldn't, since firmware is a hardware's implementation detail
                    And indeed it is software, by vocation non-free Thus should be named as such when claim friendliness to Free/Libre.

Comment

The firmware is software that runs on the GPU, not part of the driver that lets Linux programs use the GPU. If you want an open source GPU, and you have more money than Donald Trump, why don't you go hire several hundred hardware engineers?

Comment

Working...
                      X