Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Posts Initial Patches For Raven APU Support: 117 Patches, 314k L.O.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post
    I really wonder, can the hardware people not make things more compatible? Does it really need to be so much bloat and possible duplication? :-/
    Depends on the degree of architectural change in each new HW generation. The driver is actually structured around the versions of individual HW blocks so if some of the HW blocks change and others do not we will only add new code for the different blocks.

The HW devs were able to maintain a fair amount of HW compatibility between the Polaris parts and the previous generation since the Polaris changes were primarily about improving the performance of existing blocks rather than changing the overall architecture. That was not the case for Vega/Raven, however.

All that said, most of the "bloat" that people complain about on forums is just duplication of header file information, but header files do not generally add to the size of the generated code. The biggest reason behind the larger code drops you are seeing is that we are releasing pretty much full register/bitfield header information for new parts up front rather than incrementally releasing just the header information we need at the time.
    Last edited by bridgman; 10 May 2017, 11:31 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

I will be interested in a Raven 8 core part in the future, will allow for some nice VM box setup with PCIe pass through on my future ITX board (still waiting for Asrock offerings to appear).

Comment

It appears that some Raven Ridge engineering samples have been spotted in SiSoft Sandra results and elsewhere.
        Something for your morning coffee… Latest AMD Engineering Samples AMD Eng Sample: Turbo (MHz) Base (MHz) Cores Threads Platform 2D3101A8UGAF4_36/31_N 3600 3100 16 32 AMD Whitehaven 1D3101A8UGAF3_36/31_N 3600 3100 16 32 AMD Whitehaven 2D2701A9UC9F4_32/27_N 3200 2700 12 24 Alienware R3 ZM2111C1Y4382_34/21/13/06_9874 2500* 2100* 2 4 AMD Gardenia 2M3001C3T4MF2_33/30_N + AMD 15DD 3300 3000 4 8 AMD […]

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I will be interested in a Raven 8 core part in the future, will allow for some nice VM box setup with PCIe pass through on my future ITX board (still waiting for Asrock offerings to appear).
        I don't think that AMD plans to sell 8 core APUs to the general public. At least the roadmaps only show 4 core parts.
        8 core APUs are reserved for PlayStation and Xbox so far.

Comment

Would it make sense to have a dedicated 8-core/16-thread ryzen mobile edition with a separate discrete graphics on a laptop ? I would like some gaming but at the same time 16-threads would make a nice portable lab.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            No
            Yes. I know they can easily put together 2 parts that have 65w of TDP each but that means the APU will have like 120w of TDP, and that means having a pretty decent cooler or making it sprint-throttle like mobile chips that have a thermal budget that is lower than what both CPU and GPU generate if all loaded at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Yes. I know they can easily put together 2 parts that have 65w of TDP each but that means the APU will have like 120w of TDP, and that means having a pretty decent cooler or making it sprint-throttle like mobile chips that have a thermal budget that is lower than what both CPU and GPU generate if all loaded at the same time.
              Why would a 4C Zen CPU have 65 W TDP when the 8C 1700 already has a TDP of 65 W?
              Actually, if you clock an 8C Ryzen at around 3 GHz (which is the target for mobile-oriented chips), the maximum power consumption (which is not the TDP) is only around 50 W. 11 CUs also don't consume nearly as much power because you don't go above 1 GHz in an APU.
              Last edited by juno; 11 May 2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Noob spotted! (see my post above)
                öh? Just a C/C++/and-way-more developer on this side, including plenty of driver coding, ... but what do I know, ... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X