No HDMI audio on RX480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No HDMI audio on RX480

Hi there. I just got my RX480 and was shocked that HDMI audio is not working. Did I miss anything or what is the current state? I thought that one year after the Polaris launch the Linux support should be in good shape...

Is it likely that audio support will land in mainline soonish (in 4.12 or maybe 4.13)? Right now I can still return the video card, so it would be nice if someone could make a realistic predicion on when audio support, including bitstreaming of Dolby Atmos, will be available.

I just tried the current drm-next-4.13-wip from ~agd5f/linux and it was not promising at all in terms of HDMI audio support.

No audio until DC (DAL) lands... Linux 4.13 at the earliest for mainline... Or build your own kernel from DC tree or use AMDGPU-PRO with DC.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      No audio until DC (DAL) lands... Linux 4.13 at the earliest for mainline... Or build your own kernel from DC tree or use AMDGPU-PRO with DC.
      Hi Michael,

thanks for the feedback. I made some tests on Ubuntu 16.04.2 and unfortunately neither the amdgpu-pro driver nor the current DAL tree have satisfactory audio support:

With the amdgpu-pro driver I got an instant segfault of the X server as soon as Kodi has been launched, so this is not an option. And with the current DAL tree my DVI monitor did not work (garbled screen) and only PCM 2.0 audio was working. Bitstreaming of DTS-HD MA/Dolby True-HD/Dolby Atmos did not work at all. I also could not get any video acceleration for HEVC video, but I must admit that I haven't taken a deeper look at this one.

I definitely know what I am doing so I must say that the current situation for AMD Linux users is more than just a little disappointing. I did a little reading about DAL and from what I picked up it doesn't look like this is going to be mainlined soon, if at all. So I'll stop right here and send the card back.

It's kind of sad, but this means no more AMD for me...

Comment

Working...
      X