RADV Radeon Driver Is Now "Effectively" A Conformant Vulkan Implementation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frogging101 View Post
    Hmm, not sure I understand. If it's not mesa-based, wouldn't that make it harder to coexist with mesa on the same system?
    Vulkan works at an entirely lower level.
    vulkan talks directly to the graphic card.
    opengl talks in a high-level way.

Thus RADV and AMDGPU-PRO are "simply" (ahem) directly relaying commands to the amdgpu.ko kernel module.
    It's "just" some form of standardized API to talk low-level directly to a graphic card.

Mesa is a state tracker : it's interpreting a high level API, keeping track of the representation of the OpenGL world, and sending the necessary low-level command through the Mesa back-end.

Technically, RADV is more closely related to the mesa-back end, than to mesa's various state trackers, except that for historical reasons they speak different APIs, and there a few functions missing in one or the other.
    But you could almost rewrite Mesa to run on vulkan as a backend.
    (And some people are doing exactly that with DirectX 3D).

Comment

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post

Both of these things are possible, though keep in mind that (1) the amdgpu-pro Vulkan driver needs the kernel module and libdrm from amdgpu-pro releases and (2) such configurations aren't officially supported.
      I was referring to the hypothetical yet-to-be-released open source Vulkan implementation from AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogging101 View Post

I was referring to the hypothetical yet-to-be-released open source Vulkan implementation from AMD.
        The amdgpu-pro Vulkan driver is the driver will become that yet to be release open source driver. There is just some limitations causing it to stay closed for now, which AFAIK are being worked on right now.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          David should really switch to Diaspora, and stop using LiveJournal. Hint, it's owned by very not nice entities.
          ? I hope you're not referring to the owners being Russian?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

? I hope you're not referring to the owners being Russian?
            I'm referring to owners being controlled by Russian three letter agencies

Comment

Working...
            X