AMD Releases Radeon ROCm 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juno View Post
    bridgman can you say something about upstreaming plans? Will the changes likely land in upstream kernel and llvm? Is that even something you are trying to achieve or is the ROCm meant to stand on it's own?
    The llvm changes are either already either in or going in AFAIK.

We are starting another up-streaming exercise for the latest kernel code now that eviction logic is implemented, Vega10 is merged and the ROC kernel code has been re-synced with latest open & hybrid gfx driver code. Next step will probably be moving everything onto 4.11 but we can start some RFC-level review in parallel.
    Last edited by bridgman; 04 May 2017, 12:48 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

So you are actually not interested in opensourcing it? I guess you will be fine with all blobs if it swim on Gentoo well
      I am *only* interested in opensourcing it, but most of peoples probably just want to be able to use their hardware. That's why the "most boring thing i read on Phoronix is continuous asking AMD to opensource something every another day". Unfortunately there are not so many people who believe in open source
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I would argue that the real question is "why would you expect it to be quick ?". Opening up a written-for-closed-source component typically involves re-writing / replacing big chunks of the code, and that was certainly the case for OpenCL
        WHY? You are developing open drivers since a decade and when you started rewriting your OpenCL stack you had already decided to go for an hybrid route, so why not developing the new OpenCL stack in the open since the beginning?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          ... and when you started rewriting your OpenCL stack you had already decided to go for an hybrid route, so why not developing the new OpenCL stack in the open since the beginning?
          We didn't develop a new OpenCL stack, and we didn't rewrite the OpenCL driver as part of the amdgpu hybrid effort, other than changing the Linux GPU back-end to call into amdgpu rather than fglrx and doing the usual testing & optimizing work.

What we hve been doing as part of the current open sourcing effort is making incremental changes to the closed source OpenCL driver, replacing some of the components with new code generally based on already-in-the-open open source projects.
          Last edited by bridgman; 05 May 2017, 10:21 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

And what about SPIRV frontend? Is it somewhere in TODO list?

Comment

Working...
            X