Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Hiring More Developers For Their Open-Source Graphics Team

Phoronix: AMD Is Hiring More Developers For Their Open-Source Graphics Team

Following news of Red Hat hiring another developer to work on open-source graphics compute, AMD is now hiring at least two more developers too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great to hear, not just because this should help get things done quicker but because that must mean AMD has some decent revenue coming in.

Comment

Awesome, it's been 3 years since i bought a GTX 650 to use exclusively with nouveau, next purchase will defenetly be an AMD card since AMD delivers better open source perfomance, plus AMD made a good effort at putting Blender cycles OpenCL on par with CUDA. But i'll wait for Vega.

Comment

I hope the multimedia job includes porting OpenMAX IL from Bellagio to Tizonia since no one have seemed interested in it as an GSOC.

Anyways more developers is always welcome since i use AMD hardware with open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          That's great to hear, not just because this should help get things done quicker but because that must mean AMD has some decent revenue coming in.
          Exactly. The last time they put people out, I was really worried that the opensource team might get hit, but looks like Polaris put money on their pockets and now the team are expanding, I'm glad for that (and contributed a little bit buying a RX470 last year).

Comment

Wouldn't it be much simpler if they only developed open source drivers and had one team of engineers instead of two?

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post
              Wouldn't it be much simpler if they only developed open source drivers and had one team of engineers instead of two?
              You mean open source drivers for windows as well? As I've said before, there are not separate Linux closed source OpenGL driver and Vulkan driver teams. Each has one team supporting that API across multiple OSes. Dropping the closed source OpenGL on Linux would not suddenly free up a bunch of resources that could be used elsewhere. We still have to support other OSes. Switching windows over to a common open source driver for OpenGL would probably be several years of effort for relatively minimal gain. For Vulkan we plan to use a common, eventually open sourced, Vulkan to support multiple OSes. Same for OpenCL.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that AMD are investing more in Mesa work.

Comment

Mmm... Any piece of advice to gain the relevant experience? Any low hanging-but-low-priority item one could tackle to gain experience with the codebase?

Note that as a student, I only have a r600-powered (6870) GPU for now.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Mmm... Any piece of advice to gain the relevant experience? Any low hanging-but-low-priority item one could tackle to gain experience with the codebase?

Note that as a student, I only have a r600-powered (6870) GPU for now.
                    You just need to jump in and have a go. You can start with code tidy ups, coverity fixes [1], etc. There is a recent r600 bug you could have a look at [2] (I don't have an r600), there is a bug in the sb optimisations somewhere, comparing the output of running the piglit test with R600_DEBUG=vs,ps vs R600_DEBUG=vs,ps,nosb and tracking down the offending optimisation would be a good start. Then you could have a go at fixing it.

[1] https://scan.coverity.com/projects/mesa
                    [2] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100785

Comment

Working...
                    X