No announcement yet.

AMD Is Hiring More Developers For Their Open-Source Graphics Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In short, multimedia expert needed and if that comes from ChromeOS waters - Bingo!

Comment

I just bought a Sapphire NItro+ RX 580 Limited Edition. I'm working on building a Ryzen 1600x linux gaming rig soon as well. Thanks AMD!

Comment

From the job listing: "Experience with Chrome/Chromium OS development is a strong plus"

Comment

@AMD devs: Will there be an official interface of AMD VCE hardware encoding released for Linux with the free driver stack? Something like nvenc from nVidia.

OBS devs said they won't integrate a hacked solution (it's already unofficially working with ffmpeg) but to implement it they want an official interface.

Comment

Another +1 for "Experience with Chrome/Chromium OS development is a strong plus"
            That looks interesting. I remember that there were plans for an AMD based Chromebook, right? Or is this a hint that we'll soon see RavenRidge Chromebooks with Coreboot and everything?
            And it is good to see that AMD is able to hire new people and that they're putting them to the free driver stack.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
              @AMD devs: Will there be an official interface of AMD VCE hardware encoding released for Linux with the free driver stack? Something like nvenc from nVidia.
              OBS devs said they won't integrate a hacked solution (it's already unofficially working with ffmpeg) but to implement it they want an official interface.
              That would be of interest for me, too. Iirc. someone found that ffmpeg can use the VCE via vaapi as HW acceleration for x264 encoding. But I wonder if there is any other software that really makes use of HW acceleration for encoding. (I guess on Windows these gaming screen recording tools might, otherwise they'd block a lot of CPU power during gaming.)
              x265 would be even better but iirc. just the most recent chips feature just decode in UVD.
              And I haven't noticed programs making use of openmax API (or whatever it was called), I think that was the first implementation how AMD made the VCE accessible.

(I'm currently ripping all my BluRays with makemkv so I can just please watch them under my preferred OS with my preferred tools (mpv, vlc) without hassles. But BluRays are huge and so I thought about transcoding / recompressing. Handbrake with x264 is so-so, still large files (optical lossless, though), x265 is far better in terms of file size but encoding times are giving me the tears on my quadcore (4 x 3.1 GHz) (and I don't have one of these nice 8core Ryzens yet). But even x264 via HW acceleration on my Kabini system might be faster, thus I'd be interested in it.) And x265 playback is unaccelerated unless you have a Polaris chip or something.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

VCE encoding is supported by vaapi and omx which are standardised api's. We really don't want a proprietary nvenc alternative...

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post

You just need to jump in and have a go. You can start with code tidy ups, coverity fixes [1], etc. There is a recent r600 bug you could have a look at [2] (I don't have an r600), there is a bug in the sb optimisations somewhere, comparing the output of running the piglit test with R600_DEBUG=vs,ps vs R600_DEBUG=vs,ps,nosb and tracking down the offending optimisation would be a good start. Then you could have a go at fixing it.

[1] https://scan.coverity.com/projects/mesa
                  [2] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100785
                  Thank you very much, I will definitely check that out next time I have some time to spare and this itch to scratch (I am actually planning to dedicate some time to it, I just don't know *when* yet).

Edit: maybe this Weekend? I don't know yet.

Comment

Iirc Valve is still looking to hire at least one person to work on glsl compiler stuff too?

Comment

I'm not sure I follow. We supported VCE on the open stack from the start. We already support the OpenMax and VAAPI encode APIs. Why create another API?

Comment

Working...
                      X