Superposition Shows How Far RadeonSI Gallium3D Has Evolved vs. AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Really the only linux benches that catch my eye are linux vs windows on the same systems. I want to know how well the vendors are supporting linux with drivers.
    I can never expect open source driver to preform as well as ones provided by the manufactures. And in the case they out preform the OEM drivers, it shows the lack of effort on their part to provide good drivers.
    .... the biggest part of AMDs opensource driver is by paid AMD developers...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Which is what you said in the last post. But if the fundamental problem is that those apps are using compatibility profiles, and that compatibility profiles are the wrong thing to do, then doesn't it make more sense for AMD, Linux and, AMD's customers, to eliminate the compatibiliy profile requirements from those broken apps?

I mean after all they -are- your customers. Don't you think it makes better sense to ensure your customers use correct code so that their app and your drivers can function on linux according to standards?
      It is not wrong thing to do at all, that is all in OpenGL specs so it is an Standard... but implementation is optional not requirement. Basically it is not at all wrong thing to do, not sure who said you that?

Just because some implementation decided to not do it and not to have something optional... does not mean that it is wrong per se

Comment

Waste is obvious. Where is the open source OpenCL, Vulkan, etc? Still not open source. Still developed behind closed doors. Still no communication. And by every account there at least dozens of developers working on it internally at AMD. That's plainly obvious massive waste.
        That sounds like scarcity (not enough resources) not waste. Unless you're saying they should just drop those open sourcing efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It is not wrong thing to do at all, that is all in OpenGL specs so it is an Standard... but implementation is optional not requirement. Basically it is not at all wrong thing to do, not sure who said you that?

Just because some implementation decided to not do it and not to have something optional... does not mean that it is wrong per se
          It was specified in the 3.x specs, and as such the mesa does in fact implement it correctly. But it is -NOT- part of the 4.x spec and anyone that implements compatibility profiles while using 4.x specifications is breaking the standard. That's a fact. It is in fact wrong. Absolutely yes.

EDIT: I am actually wrong, see here. https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...655#post945655
          Last edited by duby229; 12 April 2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

That sounds like scarcity (not enough resources) not waste. Unless you're saying they should just drop those open sourcing efforts.
            Then where's the open source code? I'll tell you, it's in radv right now, and no thanks to AMD at all. That's a waste. A horrible unfortunate waste. And it's plainly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
              I want to know how well the vendors are supporting linux with drivers. I can never expect open source driver to preform as well as ones provided by the manufactures. And in the case they out preform the OEM drivers, it shows the lack of effort on their part to provide good drivers.
              Huh ? What if the manufacturer does a lot of the development work on the open source drivers, which is the case for AMD ?
              Test signature

Comment

Then where's the open source code? I'll tell you, it's in radv right now, and no thanks to AMD at all. That's a waste. A horrible unfortunate waste. And it's plainly obvious.
                Ok, so you *are* saying they should just drop that effort. I don't necessarily disagree with you there.

That still doesn't really affect having a -pro GL driver, it's kind of a separate topic.

Comment

It was specified in the 3.x specs, and as such the mesa does in fact implement it correctly. But it is -NOT- part of the 4.x spec and anyone that implements compatibility profiles while using 4.x specifications is breaking the standard. That's a fact. It is in fact wrong. Absolutely yes.
                  So you just said how best OpenGL both nVidia and AMD implementation are wrong since they implemented everything for compatability profile, but on the other side OS_X and Mesa are right because they decided not to do so

That is hard to swallow really

Comment

So you just said how best OpenGL both nVidia and AMD implementation are wrong since they implemented everything for compatability profile, but on the other side OS_X and Mesa are right because they decided not to do so

No, What I'm saying is that Compatibility profiles are -not- part of the spec at OpenGL 4.x and up. Technically compatibility profiles are -only- part of the OpenGL 3.0 spec and nothing else. So if your code uses -anything- outside of OpenGL 3.0 and it requires compatibility profiles, then your code is non-standard regardless of the OS or drivers.
                    It's those drivers that allowed that wrong behaviour that are at fault. It is their fault. Period.

EDIT: Actually, I misunderstood what I read, see here. https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...655#post945655
                    Last edited by duby229; 12 April 2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, out of everything he's posted so far in this thread that is the hard to swallow part

Comment

Working...
                      X