Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vega 10 & Other AMDGPU Updates Land In DRM-Next, 398k+ L.O.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vega 10 & Other AMDGPU Updates Land In DRM-Next, 398k+ L.O.C.

Phoronix: Vega 10 & Other AMDGPU Updates Land In DRM-Next, 398k+ L.O.C.

As reported yesterday, the Radeon RX Vega AMDGPU code was staged for pulling into DRM-Next along with other features that amount to 398,656 lines of new code in the kernel. David Airlie has honored that pull request and that feature work is now residing in DRM-Next...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there any news about the experimental amdgpu kernel driver for GCN 1.0 and 1.1? Especially in terms of UVD support?

Comment

No display support for Vega, but what about DRI_PRIME? Right now my Computer runs only on the internal iGPU of the A8-7600 and i switch to the dGPU for the most games. I had never attached any display to the dGPU.

Would this also work for Vega?

Comment

It's pretty interesting that Alex said they are focused on open sourcing their proprietary Vulkan driver. I think Bridgman said in a reddit comment (a year ago) that it became less of a priority when radv came out and they would focus on open sourcing specific parts firsts that would help radv instead of fully open sourcing the proprietary driver as a top priority.

Reading the comment now I think I may have just misunderstood. The effort to opensource the driver is still the same priority, but they are doing it in a different fashion to help radv.
        We did take the first initiative - we started working on opening up our closed source Vulkan driver, which unfortunately involves rewriting some...

Comment

Michael You really should mention that Bridgman has clarified (on these forums) that there will still be day 1 support for Vega in AMDGPU-PRO. Leaving that out makes the talk about day 1 Vega support a tad misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            Michael You really should mention that Bridgman has clarified (on these forums) that there will still be day 1 support for Vega in AMDGPU-PRO. Leaving that out makes the talk about day 1 Vega support a tad misleading.
            I think I've mentioned that in several articles already as day-1 AMDGPU-PRO support has always been part of the plan, but will add a remark in the article as well.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Just make a custom kernel and you have amdgpu driver support for GCN 1.0+[…]
              ? I know how to do that, but in my case I don't even need that, as my distribution activates the option and I only have to pass two Kernel arguments.

Still this doesn't fix the lack of UVD support in the amdgpu kernel driver for GCN 1.0, hence I was asking for news in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Just make a custom kernel and you have amdgpu driver support for GCN 1.0+, see how to make a custom kernel:
                dummy, it will not magically make uvd work

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  Bridgman has clarified (on these forums) that there will still be day 1 support for Vega in AMDGPU-PRO
                  but who doubted that?

Comment

Originally posted by JAYL View Post
                    Reading the comment now I think I may have just misunderstood. The effort to opensource the driver is still the same priority, but they are doing it in a different fashion to help radv.
                    One more very slight tweak - we looked into doing the open sourcing in a different fashion to help radv, but concluded that anything we *could* open up quickly would not be likely to help with radv, so ended up staying with the original plan.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X