AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs Launching Next Month, 4 & 6 Core Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    As a developer, CPU is kept busy any time I'm doing compilation or running automated tests. And that *is* a task that benefits from parallelism as much as it does speed... an i7 chip may run a single test more quickly than Ryzen, but if Ryzen is able to run eight tests at once instead of four, it's a win. So I'm definitely interested...
    Yup, more than a few scenarios and job titles where the normal day to day can load up a bunch of cores. Recommending for or against a particular chip without knowing the target workload always makes me chuckle. It's like recommending a specific model of lawn mower, without knowing whether the person lives in an apartment, or on a sprawling estate.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 18 March 2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      We'll see. Also we'll see Intel's response in due course, remember their last response to AMD the C2D then sandy bridge which blew AMD away. I'm all for this competition and more performance per watt per $, £ or €.
      The Core Duo (and C2D) started life as recycled Pentium-M laptop parts, more than two years after the Athlon64 hit the market.

At the time (~2004), the P4's were really power hungry and ran super hot. The Athlon64 was the superior choice, and not just because it was 64 bit while the competing P4 was not. Intel customers had been asking for several years for something that could match AMD's performance, and at a lower TDP. There was speculation for many months that intel would scale their laptop Pentium-M chip up into a desktop part, effectively throwing the stale old NetBurst architecture out the window. And that's exactly what they did. Prior to the official Core Duo launch in 2006, there were even hacks out there for running a Pentium-M laptop CPU in a desktop mobo - that's how much demand there was for a NetBurst replacement. C2D came along the following year, which finally added AMD's 64 bit extensions, making the intel chips "AMD compatible", and the rest is history.

Sorry, but intel's got nothing this time around - which is fine, since their current lineup is OK, not terrible like it was in 2004. But intel also doesn't have any other AMD-beating parts they can easily bring to market like they did back then. About all they can do is cut prices to stay competitive with AMD. But hey, that's a win-win no matter which chip you go with.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 18 March 2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Well, obviously compiling programs is one thing that benefits from multiple cores and us devs stand to gain from that. When I said my quad core is rarely maxxed out I was more referring to the fact that most of the time I'm doing something other than compiling
        Agreed - but when we're doing something other than compiling (thinking, editing, talking to co-workers), the machine is usually close to idle... neither parallelism nor raw speed are necessary then.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
          Well, that is you... My skylake i7 is utilized to the maximum all the time and i am forced to take unwanted coffee breaks pretty often... This happen when you compile code...
          "Unwanted" coffee breaks? But that's when so much of the productive work gets done...

And at work, lengthy compile times are the perfect excuse for a coffee break
          See, that's more like it.

Comment

Not really. I don't compile huge projects at home. And at work, lengthy compile times are the perfect excuse for a coffee break

Waiting for compiles is not really this much fun, so a fast multicore CPU is still a good idea...
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Waiting for compiles is not really this much fun, so a fast multicore CPU is still a good idea...
              Of course, it's exceedingly rare for me to only have one problem to worry about at once, so much of the time, the machine is busy on one problem while I'm busy on another...

Comment

think i'll wait for the cheaper CPU's before i buy a New PC , i only need a 6 core PC

Comment

LOL - pcgameshardware.de was running some tests on simulated R5 Ryzen (by disabling cores), found that AOTS ran a lot faster (matching 7700K), and on further investigation found that the game reduced the graphics level when running on 4 cores or less. That's why all the 6 and 8 core CPUs were running slower:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ed_aots_turns/
                  Test signature

Comment

Why they still simulating it... as i see ony youtube several reviewers got their R5 samples and did unboxing videos already.

Interesting beside mobo different, they all got R5 1600X and 1500X together with GEIL's 3200 RGB illuminated RAM
                    Last edited by dungeon; 01 April 2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Why they still simulating it... as i see ony youtube several reviewers got their R5 samples and did unboxing videos already.
                      The discovery of different program behaviour with 4 or fewer cores was the third update to the article, so I gather the initial testing was done before samples went out. That said, I don't know if the site was being sampled from AMD in the first place.

Finally, there is typically an embargo period where reviewers are allowed to say things like "see the shiny thing I have" but not "here is how fast it goes". Even "see the shiny thing I have" comments are probably in a grey area.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X