AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs Launching Next Month, 4 & 6 Core Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    These Ryzen 5 chips are going to be a tremendous value as compared with the comparable intel part. They'll deliver similar single threaded performance, and superior multi-thread performance. It was only a few years ago that most games were single threaded or at most, dual threaded. Now four threads is common. Clearly the trend is towards parallelism, and this is where AMD shines and intel whines!
    We'll see. Also we'll see Intel's response in due course, remember their last response to AMD the C2D then sandy bridge which blew AMD away. I'm all for this competition and more performance per watt per $, £ or €.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I have a quad core and they're rarely fully used at the same time. For me, 12 would be a waste at any price point. But then again, if the price point is low enough, you can afford to be wasteful. In that case, the only thing to consider would be if, for the same $$$, you could get fewer cores, but clocked higher.
      As a developer, CPU is kept busy any time I'm doing compilation or running automated tests. And that *is* a task that benefits from parallelism as much as it does speed... an i7 chip may run a single test more quickly than Ryzen, but if Ryzen is able to run eight tests at once instead of four, it's a win. So I'm definitely interested...

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
        Does anyone know whether core performance, assuming clocks are the same, will be equal between Ryzen 5 and 7? I might be ok with overclocked Ryzen 1700 but Ryzen 5 1600X looks promising as well.
        That will depend upon the specifics of the cores which I don't believe is public yet. It is reasonable to assume that running out of cache will be similar. The real interesting part is what thermal point they will ship at and thus what the max clock rate will be. n If we are talking 65 watt units then we might see rather high clock rates, it will be interesting to see what ships.

Comment

Yeah, I had originally decided on the R7 1700 but then thought, maybe a 6 core 12 thread can fit better single-thread performance into the 65W envelope. But nope, they don't have a 65W offering for 6c/12t to put into the Dan A4-SFX I got. So it's either 8 cores or 4.. and I have 4 now. And honestly, my i7-3770 has better single thread performance than any of these anyways. So if I went with 4 core and first-generation Zen, I'd be losing performance. And that feels like a waste of time. So I'll be sticking with the R7 1700 because it's different enough from my i7 that I have an easier time justifying it. And also because AMD's done so much excellent work with Free Radeon drivers that I don't mind throwing as much money at them as they'll take. In fact I went looking for AMD RAM for that same reason and didn't see any DDR4, just DDR3...

Comment

Luke_Wolf If that game needs that many resources to output that sorry gfx, it better had a hell of an AI.
            Well, It's Doom. Battlefield 1 also scales out like this.

Comment

I have a quad core and they're rarely fully used at the same time. For me, 12 would be a waste at any price point. But then again, if the price point is low enough, you can afford to be wasteful. In that case, the only thing to consider would be if, for the same $$$, you could get fewer cores, but clocked higher.

Luke_Wolf If that game needs that many resources to output that sorry gfx, it better had a hell of an AI.
              Well, that is you... My skylake i7 is utilized to the maximum all the time and i am forced to take unwanted coffee breaks pretty often... This happen when you compile code...

I was thinking of buying 1800X first but now I am trying to decide if 12threads would be enough... (For half the price)

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

That will depend upon the specifics of the cores which I don't believe is public yet. It is reasonable to assume that running out of cache will be similar. The real interesting part is what thermal point they will ship at and thus what the max clock rate will be. n If we are talking 65 watt units then we might see rather high clock rates, it will be interesting to see what ships.
                We are in the same boat my friend. Just curios.... What language and do you think 6c/12t is enough?

I do c++ java and go. And for my stuff, the large java maven compilations completely kill my skylake... Would like to try on a 1600X to see if that is enough...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

As a developer, CPU is kept busy any time I'm doing compilation or running automated tests. And that *is* a task that benefits from parallelism as much as it does speed... an i7 chip may run a single test more quickly than Ryzen, but if Ryzen is able to run eight tests at once instead of four, it's a win. So I'm definitely interested...
                  Originally posted by vein View Post

Well, that is you... My skylake i7 is utilized to the maximum all the time and i am forced to take unwanted coffee breaks pretty often... This happen when you compile code...

I was thinking of buying 1800X first but now I am trying to decide if 12threads would be enough... (For half the price)
                  Well, obviously compiling programs is one thing that benefits from multiple cores and us devs stand to gain from that. When I said my quad core is rarely maxxed out I was more referring to the fact that most of the time I'm doing something other than compiling

Comment

Well, obviously compiling programs is one thing that benefits from multiple cores and us devs stand to gain from that. When I said my quad core is rarely maxxed out I was more referring to the fact that most of the time I'm doing something other than compiling
                    Actually, I have to give you that But it is these times that stick to your head since they are the most frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Actually, I have to give you that But it is these times that stick to your head since they are the most frustrating
                      Not really. I don't compile huge projects at home. And at work, lengthy compile times are the perfect excuse for a coffee break

Comment

Working...
                      X