AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs Launching Next Month, 4 & 6 Core Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    michael be smart and do not buy these products you can simulate these products with "4+0 CCX group" settings with your 8core 1700 and 1800X.
    Is it confirmed that the 1500 and 1600 parts are just 1700 and 1800 parts with portions disabled? If it is, then I think you're right. If it's not, then there may be important differences.

Comment

Wait until the tyres are well and truly kicked, see where the weaknesses are and for them to be fixed otherwise it's early adopters curse. I'll hold off considering Ryzen until Ryzen Mk2 which is due 2018 Q1.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        Wait until the tyres are well and truly kicked, see where the weaknesses are and for them to be fixed otherwise it's early adopters curse. I'll hold off considering Ryzen until Ryzen Mk2 which is due 2018 Q1.
        Ryzen's motherboards seem a bit more rush than the average, but even so I don't think you need to hold off for an entire year. I mean, you could if you have other reasons, but I expect motherboards will be in good shape by June or so.
        That said, what L_A_G experiences is a clear RMA case.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          Beside, I'm also intrigued by possible Intel countermoves.

Comment

The 4 core version would be interesting to test. It is one CCX whereas the 6 core is still two CCXs with one core disabled on each CCX. The 4 core version should suffer from less cache bottlenecks and thread migration issues between CCXs.

Comment

I wouldn't touch the 1600x at $249.

IIRC they plan on releasing a 'pro' series later this year with higher clocks.
              Last edited by peppercats; 16 March 2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

These Ryzen 5 chips are going to be a tremendous value as compared with the comparable intel part. They'll deliver similar single threaded performance, and superior multi-thread performance. It was only a few years ago that most games were single threaded or at most, dual threaded. Now four threads is common. Clearly the trend is towards parallelism, and this is where AMD shines and intel whines!

Comment

He, he, according to what happened with R7, as since all R5 are also unlocked i guess R5 1400 / 1600 would be best overclockers...

Basically these with X should be best value, if you don't plan to overclock it
                  Last edited by dungeon; 16 March 2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

The sad reality is after over a decade of multi core CPU's in the consumer space and decades before that of multi- CPU rigs in the high end space we still can't get a handle on parallel programing. And time and again test after tests show rapid declines in scaling past 4 cores and particularly after 6.

Your best all around bet even to this day is simply buy the clock. In other words....buy the fastest CPU you can afford. And base speed at that and don't rely on any turbo mode. And don't worry about more than 4 cores.

Comment

For those who care about real cores and no more than 4 and no SMT, R3 would be an answer - how prices goes low that would start at $99 likely

So that Zen APUs can start for more i guess
                      Last edited by dungeon; 16 March 2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X