AMDGPU LLVM Expert Has Left AMD, Now Working For Red Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    It'll be interesting to learn more about that, and the future of the LLVM backend.
    We still have multiple people working on the LLVM AMDGPU backend, so there's no cause for concern there.

That said, Tom's work was very valuable for our open source support, so we'll definitely miss him. That he's still around in the Mesa and LLVM communities serves as a little consolation though.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

We still have multiple people working on the LLVM AMDGPU backend, so there's no cause for concern there.

That said, Tom's work was very valuable for our open source support, so we'll definitely miss him. That he's still around in the Mesa and LLVM communities serves as a little consolation though.
      Oh I never realized that, I always viewed him as the main guy on LLVM that's good then.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

He's also an LLVM release manager. I'm sure that position is worth something to Red Hat.
        That's where his "general excellence in the stack" comes in

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          I wonder if Red Hat is gearing up to make a fully open work station, i.e. selling supported hardware as well as it's OS
          More like a partnership with Valve on SteamOS, who knows? :P

Thanks everyone for the clarifications in this thread, and congratulations to Tom!

Comment

It's only natural and necessary! what is Redhat doing - they can, everybody can see what is Intel doing. Soon Intel will have quite a chunk of that luxurious Big Linux market.

Like that paper on Linux schedulers and decades wasted, people could write up an interesting, and writing that would not require lot of research, paper titled something like "AMD market strategy - wasted opportunities big time!"

It's that wall street type of mind set - they produce all these presentations with graps and diagrams to their important shareholders who themselves don't understand completely tomorrow's IT market, like they did not through last decades. And these presentation people, market strategists, public-relation experts they do it because they have to have a job. Presentations show how they grow, how they chase up Intel, Nvidia, constantly, endlessly, while all this time there is a gold mine just waiting there to give the gold away.
            But now it might be too late, not far in the future and even Qualcomm and likes(anybody who decide to enter datacenter and laptop market) will be snatching their chunks of Big Linux cake, by selling hardware with greatly optimized and tailor-made Linux, and I don't mean some finicky little industrial gadgets, but products and distros for us end-users and our desks.

All the best to AMD.

Comment

Oh I never realized that, I always viewed him as the main guy on LLVM that's good then.

Thank you!
              I guess I've felt that Matt Arsenault has also been a contender for that role for the AMDGPU back-end... At least back when I paid more attention to such things. There are, however, others who work on the AMDGPU LLVM back-end.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

It's definitely more for this, his main task is not graphics related.

Dave.
                Interesting, my top guesses for his main job is: "Dave's coding buddy", "master cpu bit flipper" and possibly maybe something to do with LLVM

Comment

Thank you!
                  How did you garner this perception? He was the point of presence for AMD and FOSS for LLVM but seriously, how did this turn into a one person know-it-all at AMD for LLVM? It reminds me of people crying the sky is falling when Lattner left Apple not knowing the hundreds of experts who were at Apple long before Chris and will be there long after him.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

How did you garner this perception? He was the point of presence for AMD and FOSS for LLVM but seriously, how did this turn into a one person know-it-all at AMD for LLVM? It reminds me of people crying the sky is falling when Lattner left Apple not knowing the hundreds of experts who were at Apple long before Chris and will be there long after him.
                    Because he was the point of presence
                    Because I interacted only with him on LLVM-related bugs, (well also Nicolai once I think, but not sure anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

I guess I've felt that Matt Arsenault has also been a contender for that role for the AMDGPU back-end...
                      I don't even know who that is :/

Comment

Working...
                      X