Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU LLVM Expert Has Left AMD, Now Working For Red Hat

Phoronix: AMDGPU LLVM Expert Has Left AMD, Now Working For Red Hat

A Phoronix reader pointed out an interesting reference on a Mesa patch today... Tom Stellard, the former GSoC student who was instrumental in developing the AMDGPU LLVM compiler back-end, is now working for Red Hat...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Huh, so he is.

Goodbye Tom... Hello Tom

Comment

I wonder if Red Hat is gearing up to make a fully open work station, i.e. selling supported hardware as well as it's OS

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        I wonder if Red Hat is gearing up to make a fully open work station, i.e. selling supported hardware as well as it's OS
        Nope. Not happening, ever.

Comment

It'll be interesting to learn more about that, and the future of the LLVM backend.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            Can't imagine that's likely.
            They likely hired him because of his general excellence in the stack (i assume) and, possibly, increasing demand from customers who are using mesa.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

I guess this proves that AMD won't be using RADV for the open source Vulkan driver. I mean why else would an AMD employee working on the open source Vulkan driver leave to work for another company working on the same driver?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Can't imagine that's likely.
                They likely hired him because of his general excellence in the stack (i assume) and, possibly, increasing demand from customers who are using mesa.
                ​​​​​​
                He's also an LLVM release manager. I'm sure that position is worth something to Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                  I guess this proves that AMD won't be using RADV for the open source Vulkan driver. I mean why else would an AMD employee working on the open source Vulkan driver leave to work for another company working on the same driver?
                  Tom wasn't working on the open source Vulkan driver.

He works on the radeon llvm backend, which is used by the OpenGL and OpenCL open source drivers, and would also be used by the hypothetical future AMD Vulkan driver once it's open sourced too.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

He's also an LLVM release manager. I'm sure that position is worth something to Red Hat.
                    It's definitely more for this, his main task is not graphics related.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X