Mesa, llvm & kernel after pontostroy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa, llvm & kernel after pontostroy

The default OpenSuse drivers are less stable and slower than what the postostroy's repository. Now that the pontostroy's repository is gone where should I get mesa, kernel & llvm?

Debian....... I'm using OpenSuse

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

When it is difficult to use latest GPU drivers in any distribution it is a good reason for distribution hopping. For example, my first Linux experience was with redhat in 1996, a laptop did work out of box. Later I did build a mp3 player using old pentium 3 pc parts and used Zenwalk and found Xfce. Then i started using Debian Xfce in the "stable" distribution that I broke several times I did notice that my software was old and started using the Debian testing distribution.
      I'm using the R600 driver. I don't need the latest software. The stable version is fine. It's that the official OpenSuse Mesa is not stable in gaming and it's slow. I don't know why but the I didn't have this issues with the Mesa compiled by Pontostroy, unfortunately Pontostroy doesn't compile new versions anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

I'm using the R600 driver. I don't need the latest software. The stable version is fine. It's that the official OpenSuse Mesa is not stable in gaming and it's slow. I don't know why but the I didn't have this issues with the Mesa compiled by Pontostroy, unfortunately Pontostroy doesn't compile new versions anymore.
        So why don't you report this to the OpenSuSE maintainers and let them fix this? It's their job and all users of OpenSuSE would benefit.

Comment

I know why, older mesa and llvm are buggy and slow. When Amd releases a "stable" version of the mesa or kernel driver, they release very few patches compared what are in public git. So "stable"users are using partially implement and buggy drivers.
          I wasn't aware that AMD released any versions of mesa or kernel driver, other than the ones we include in the AMDGPU-PRO releases. Are those what you are talking about ?

Or do you just mean that what we publish to the upstream kernel tree follows the upstream kernel rules, with new functionality once per kernel cycle (every ~9 weeks) and only low-risk bug fixes after that, versus the untested internal "staging" tree that agd5f pushes to public every week or two and which can pick up new functionality & invasive bug fixes at any point ?
          Last edited by bridgman; 25 February 2017, 04:26 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
            The default OpenSuse drivers are less stable and slower than what the postostroy's repository. Now that the pontostroy's repository is gone where should I get mesa, kernel & llvm?
            If pontostroy repo was more stable and faster, look at his packages what/if he does so specific and inspect difference:

Easiest answer from me i guess, but that is the only way i guess

Comment

When it is difficult to use latest GPU drivers in any distribution it is a good reason for distribution hopping.
              I totally agree in your case, as if you wanna use Ubuntu's PPA you should hop-hop to Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I wasn't aware that AMD released any versions of mesa or kernel driver, other than the ones we include in the AMDGPU-PRO releases. Are those what you are talking about ?

Or do you just mean that what we publish to the upstream kernel tree follows the upstream kernel rules, with new functionality once per kernel cycle (every ~9 weeks) and only low-risk bug fixes after that, versus the untested internal "staging" tree that agd5f pushes to public every week or two and which can pick up new functionality & invasive bug fixes at any point ?
                He's speaking about the wip and staging-branches with code, that's not buggy enough for the kernel releases...

Comment

I know why, older mesa and llvm are buggy and slow. When Amd releases patches for "stable" version of the mesa or kernel driver, they release very few patches compared what are in public git. So "stable"users are using partially implement and buggy drivers.
                  This is not a Mesa or llvm problem, because older version of Pontostroy were working fine. It's an OpenSuse problem.

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist;

So why don't you report this to the OpenSuSE maintainers and let them fix this? It's their job and all users of OpenSuSE would benefit.
                  How do i debug it? The pc crashes after some minutes after gaming, sometime after an hour, most of the times at around 20 minutes.

Originally posted by dungeon;
                  If pontostroy repo was more stable and faster, look at his packages what/if he does so specific and inspect difference: ...
                  How do I find the specific delta that fixes the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                    He's speaking about the wip and staging-branches with code, that's not buggy enough for the kernel releases...
                    Ahh... those aren't really "releases", just snapshots of whatever happens to be in the development branches that day.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X