Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade to 16.04.2 worthwhile with R9 280X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to 16.04.2 worthwhile with R9 280X?

Hi,

I'm currently running Ubuntu 16.04 with oibaf's PPA for my gaming needs: War Thunder and Paradox games like Hearts of Iron IV, Europa Universalis IV and Cities: Skylines. With oibaf's PPA the first game mentioned runes fine but the others have problems (freezes up to a point where I have to reboot the system), with the "original" mesa it is the other way around (War Thunder doesn't even start). It would be really great if I could run all of this without problems. My graphics board is a R9 280X.

My question is: do I gain anything by making the move to 16.04.2 with a newer kernel? I reason that an upgrade plus using oibaf's PPA will basically be the same what I have right now, or am I wrong?

Don't listen to debianxfce, he is a jerk. It's much more likely that you'll find updated components in the Ubuntu PPA Universe, making Ubuntu a rolling release for the specific parts you wish than debian. And surely you can use nothing else than xfce because...because. And surely he didn't see you are using 16.04, which isn't even the most current release of ubuntu....

The upgrade to 16.04.2 and the following will uplift many hardware related parts, which makes your distribution mostly current again. One problem for amd gpu users is llvm, which is not included in that upgrades. You will miss some newer OpenGL stuff for amdgpu, but if you don't mind heavy gaming, that shouldn't be a real problem.

Comment

If you're gaming and need performance, you should be on 16.10 by now.

Comment

Thank you for your answers, but they are to unspecific to me. What exactly would I benefit from since I already use a PPA for an updated mesa? According to https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0-Beta-2-Bench the vanilla performance I supposed to be the same.
        Last edited by Brausepaul; 19 February 2017, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brausepaul View Post
          Thank you for your answers, but they are to unspecific to me. What exactly would I benefit from since I already use a PPA for an updated mesa? According to https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0-Beta-2-Bench the vanilla performance I supposed to be the same.
          With 16.04.2 HWE you get about 9-12 months newer graphic stack (kernel, xserver, mesa and dependencies) than it is stock one of 16.04.0 Ubuntu... since you already use PPA then minus mesa stack

To mention everything what happened due that time in whole three projects is hard... since Ubuntu recommending this to Desktop users and you also already have some problems, then just do it

Comment

The Oibaf PPA does not support 16.04.2:

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post
              The Oibaf PPA does not support 16.04.2:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...phics-Drivers=
              Ah yes, that is good to be mentioned here... there would be mess with these mesa PPAs with this new HWE rolling

I think, sooner or later these PPAs would be pushed to adopt to it as new images and new installations are coming with HWE by default
              Last edited by dungeon; 19 February 2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X