Apple MacPro Late-2013 with Dual FirePro D700's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple MacPro Late-2013 with Dual FirePro D700's

Hi, I installed and am successfully dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 on my Apple Mac Pro 6,1 (note, NOT MAC BOOK PRO, but mac pro -> http://www.apple.com/ca/mac-pro/) After installing, I have the purple screen of death but unlike a Windows BSOD, the system is working (just no video). I am able to SSH into my ubuntu box. I installed the official AMDGPU PRO 16.60-379184 as well as the non-beta 16.40. I still have a purple screen on boot. My chipset appears to be Tahiti but not 100% sure. My

I'm getting frustrated. I've tried Debian, Centos, SteamOs and now Ubuntu. I've tried kernels ranging from 3.X to 4.X all the way up to 4.9.10 (latest stable). Custom compiling, stock kernels, etc .... I've been using Linux since 1994 extensively so I'm no stranger to code, compiling or getting into the nitty gritty of Linux.

I've tried the radeon, fbdev (with limited success), amdgpu and amdgpu-pro. Nothing works.

The reason I keep going and trying to make this work is that I see support for the Tahiti XT chip.

Can anybody shed any light on whether or not the D700 can be used with Linux?

Ian.

I stumbled across a post that shows promise:
    These instructions apply only for GCN 1.0/Southern Island cards and GCN 1.1/Sea Islands cards. You can check if your card falls in this categories here. The AMDGPU driver is a newer driver for GNU/Linux and promises better performance and Vulkan support. You will need to do two steps to make it work. Userspace drivers -

Comment

Can you pastebin your dmesg output ? Didn't see that in the other thread.

Are you using BootCamp ? AFAIK that is what supplies the VBIOS image.
      Test signature

Comment

Hey bridgman, Here ya go!

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

That paste is from Debian Stretch RC2.

Comment

Should be fixed by: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...d5952a8db9ab83

Note that macs are always a challenge due to their proprietary design.
          Last edited by agd5f; 17 February 2017, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I'll bite and be a guinea pig.

I'll test it out shortly and post my results.

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Was it forbidden to use wip code, because "that is the way kernel development works";-)
              It is forbidden to follow your troll-guides which leads users to the FrankenLinux

Alex just point out to the commit because that is how opensource works - i show you a patch which should fix an issue or git point you might try.

If we live in blob world he will say "issue is already known and it will be fixed in next release" or he might point out to build of hotfix driver, etc... but hotfix is not regular release, that is still not recommended to no anyone else
              Last edited by dungeon; 17 February 2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

The kernel was the key and fixed the issue. I see a couple glitches here and there and errors being spewed in Xorg.0.log.

For now I'm going to enjoy Ubuntu on my Mac and work on the errors tomorrow.

Thx.

Ian.

Comment

As we see here and several other cases, it is better to use latest code where bugs are fixed, see:
                  https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
                  I see here, there and in several other cases that you are just trolling since your post one in these forums.

As we see here, dungeon way using Debian "stable" and compiling mesa leads users to the FrankenLinux.
                  https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...rivers/page171
                  I don't expect any sense in a comment from troll and here you exactly delivered just that.

Comment

Was it forbidden to use wip code, because "that is the way kernel development works";-)
                    These Mac systems wouldn't have needed this fix in the first place if they used the same interfaces everyone else in the industry uses. Life is hard on the fringe.
                    Last edited by agd5f; 20 February 2017, 06:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                    X