AM4 driver support on day 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM4 driver support on day 1?

Whats the news AMD Ryzen and the AM4 motherboards as it comes to driver support on day 1? For Linux of course.

I've been eating makaronies and other cheap food for a while and am looking to upgrade.

Psst. Noticed I accidentally posted this in the graphics section of the forums, possible to get it moved?

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
      Whats the news AMD Ryzen and the AM4 motherboards as it comes to driver support on day 1? For Linux of course.

I've been eating makaronies and other cheap food for a while and am looking to upgrade.
      Chipset drivers for things like SATA, USB, and etc have been complete for years. Just when you choose a board make sure it uses a supported hardware monitoring ic. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Of course there are the usual firmware problems to worry about, so you choose a manufacturer that cares about their firmwares like GigaByte or Asus. Those two have been my goto board makers for a while now. They both have a pretty good record with firmware bugs like resume from suspend. Although neither of them directly support linux users, they both work without issue. Asus does tend to use custom ic's for a few boards, which sucks, so avoid them, but most of their boards are just fine.

Comment

There are already AM4 systems out there, using Bristol Ridge APUs.
        We have two HP Pavilion 510-p151ng here. They work fine under Ubuntu 16.10.
        Ubuntu 16.04 LTS needs this kernel patch or else the ethernet driver will choke on AMD-Vi.

Comment

Hmm, yeah really excited by the prospect of getting new affordable hardware to the market. AMD Zen is coming with XFR(extended frequecy range), is this handeled on bios/efi level on by system drivers? Just wondering if all features will be available at lauch.

Comment

Thanks for your answer , at least I should be able to buy the new components when they come out without worrying if they work or not. Was thinking of Intel's Turbo Boost Max 3.0, which seem to have needed some kernel implementations, if there are any similar drivers needed for AMD's new Zen architecture. (Like with AMD's XFR, mentioned above)

Links:
            https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...3-Linux-Driver
            https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-4.9-rc1-Test
            Last edited by Kendji; 18 February 2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

yes... Intel motherboards are like Windows 10 among operating systems

Comment

Working...
              X