Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600/RadeonSI GLSL/TGSI On-Disk Shader Cache Revised

Phoronix: R600/RadeonSI GLSL/TGSI On-Disk Shader Cache Revised

Last week Collabora's Timothy Arceri posted TGSI shader cache patches for Mesa that so far benefit the R600g and RadeonSI Gallium3D drivers but could also help out the other Gallium3D drivers too. The second version of those patches have now been published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm looking forward to this, both for my elderly R600-type cards as well as my SI chips (which is limited to little Kabinis, but hey ). Maybe I'll see a decrease on load times for some games. Considering the (sadly) limited time I have for playing games that would be a rather nice improvement for my gaming experience.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Maybe someone will complete OpenGL and OpenGL support for r600g after all?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        lol im seeing double

Comment

How much compile time is really saved by skipping GLSL->TGSI step? My guess would be that TGSI->binary is the expensive part. Some benchmark numbers would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            How much compile time is really saved by skipping GLSL->TGSI step? My guess would be that TGSI->binary is the expensive part. Some benchmark numbers would be interesting.
            Parsing GLSL is quite expensive and so are the various GLSL optimization passes. So depending on the game, this can have some nice benefits.

Comment

He doesn't work at Collabora anymore this work was done after he left. It's nice to get some kudos but I think maybe the article should be updated, he works at Valve now working on the AMD drivers and SteamOS according to LinkedIn
              Last edited by shanefagan; 14 February 2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I no longer have any r600 hardware but it's still nice to see it get some attention. It's been a while.
                Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                I think the AMD devs would like to but they don't have the time. They still have a lot to get done with radeonSI, amdgpu(-pro), and Polaris in general. But, at least they're making a lot of progress with those very quickly. Unfortunately, I'm guessing by the time they could get to r600 again, nobody will be using those GPUs anymore.

Maybe if AMD makes enough money from Ryzen or Polaris, they could hire a driver dev dedicated for older GPUs. Wishful thinking I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Maybe if AMD makes enough money from Ryzen or Polaris...
                  Why not both?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Maybe if AMD makes enough money from Ryzen or Polaris, they could hire a driver dev dedicated for older GPUs. Wishful thinking I suppose...
                    maybe they will opensource vulkan and airlied will return to r600

Comment

Working...
                    X