• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see benchmarks of the 7870 ir other Southern Island GPU

Comment

rx460 beating gtx 960 at 4k
      surprise motherf*cker
      Last edited by davidbepo; 10 February 2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        He never said he was going to test the 290, not that it matters anyway since even the Fury doesn't really perform any better than the 460.
        But anyway, it's been known for a while that the 290 that Michael has seems to have performance issues, where in many tests it is much slower than it should be.
        Right, for GL my particular R9 290 remains regressed even with the newer firmware, etc.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Right, for GL my particular R9 290 remains regressed even with the newer firmware, etc.
          Is that only for Mesa 17+ ?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            Is that only for Mesa 17+ ?
            It's been regressed for like the past year (or more?), well before Mesa 17 and originally happened with a kernel upgrade.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Oh right. Is that regression an Ubuntu specific issue?

I have an R9 290 and was facing similar issues with ubuntu 16.10 and Mint 18.1 on newer kernels. My GPU was staying in lower power mode and not clocking up I believe. Mesa 17.1 via padoka. Upto Kernel 4.6 would work fast, anything newer was basically extremely slow.
              I get the impression it isn't distro-specific. I have a 290 that has worked just as well as others in it's family since I got it (which was around Mesa 11 I think?). It seems to me that there are at least 2 different kinds of 290s, where one of them might have a slightly different BIOS. That's the only explanation I can think of as to why some GPUs seem to have huge performance hits while others don't. I do know for a fact that not all 290s are equal, because some (but not all) can be unlocked as 290Xs (albeit, not 100% of a 290X). Mine is one of the few that explicitly cannot be unlocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's been regressed for like the past year (or more?), well before Mesa 17 and originally happened with a kernel upgrade.
                Right. My R9 290 had the same issue. I believe it was kernel 4.7 or newer that made it extremely slow. I had been using Ubuntu or derivatives like Mint.

Today I discovered a fix by switching to Fedora.
                Fedora 25
                Mesa 13.03
                kernel 4.9.8-201.fc25.x86_64
                wayland
                Gnome 3
                Is this information helpful? My R9 290 is no longer regressed with the above setup.

Comment

Sorry Michael, I keep waking up late. Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
                  The fourteeen different NVIDIA cards

Comment

I hoped it will ran better on the 270x. Seems like I have to skip it until Vega... ;-(
                    Pretty demanding for a round-base strategy game.

Comment

Right. My R9 290 had the same issue. I believe it was kernel 4.7 or newer that made it extremely slow. I had been using Ubuntu or derivatives like Mint.

Today I discovered a fix by switching to Fedora.
                      Fedora 25
                      Mesa 13.03
                      kernel 4.9.8-201.fc25.x86_64
                      wayland
                      Gnome 3
                      Is this information helpful? My R9 290 is no longer regressed with the above setup.
                      Is it possible for you to help the developers and try to bisect the issue? I don't know which bug number it is, but Michael wrote a post about testing the issue earlier this year.

Otherwise it would be very interesting to see how his card works in a new Fedora build.

Comment

Working...
                      X