No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Performance For Civilization VI On Linux With Mesa 17.1 + Linux 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Performance For Civilization VI On Linux With Mesa 17.1 + Linux 4.10

Phoronix: RadeonSI Performance For Civilization VI On Linux With Mesa 17.1 + Linux 4.10

Since yesterday's release of Civilization VI for Linux, ported by Aspyr Media, we have published a 14-way NVIDIA GPU comparison with this newest high-profile Linux game release. This morning I also shared some Intel Kabylake game figures for Civilization 6 while now the focus is on RadeonSI.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So for RadeonSI there is even more signs of CPU bottleneck. Due to driver overhead or the game itself?
    Anyhow, I ended up bying it, will phoronix test suit get an automated benchmark?

Kind regards
    Brut.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post
      So for RadeonSI there is even more signs of CPU bottleneck. Due to driver overhead or the game itself?
      Anyhow, I ended up bying it, will phoronix test suit get an automated benchmark?

Kind regards
      Brut.
      PTS already has civilization-vi test profile since yesterday to do all these tests.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

PTS already has civilization-vi test profile since yesterday to do all these tests.
        Nice, should thought of that due to all your tests...

B.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post

Nice, should thought of that due to all your tests...

B.
          Yep, no way would I test 20 cards manually doing 4 configurations on each game plus also capturing all the per-frame data, etc... by hand. And in less than a day. :P
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nice, thank you for these tests.
            It looks like it's running "fine" on the lowest quality settings (I consider 30 FPS fine for a turn based strategy game).

That's a game where I would be very, very curious to see how the mesa threaded optimizations perform.

As for the graphics card, I am more and more hesitating to buy a new graphics card right now. Could someone advise me if I should wait for Vega, or already take an RX480 or an R9 Fury (I found both at around the same 240-260 € price point). My budget is around 300 € (need to leave some room for Ryzen).

(OTOH, I might have to trave next year, as a student, so it might not be the best idea to upgrade right now).

Comment

I was playing it at 4K res on the highest setting on my Tonga with the openstack - was playing great

Comment

Where is the R9 290?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Where is the R9 290?
                  He never said he was going to test the 290, not that it matters anyway since even the Fury doesn't really perform any better than the 460.
                  But anyway, it's been known for a while that the 290 that Michael has seems to have performance issues, where in many tests it is much slower than it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    it's been known for a while that the 290 that Michael has seems to have performance issues, where in many tests it is much slower than it should be.
                    Oh right. Is that regression an Ubuntu specific issue?

I have an R9 290 and was facing similar issues with ubuntu 16.10 and Mint 18.1 on newer kernels. My GPU was staying in lower power mode and not clocking up I believe. Mesa 17.1 via padoka. Upto Kernel 4.6 would work fast, anything newer was basically extremely slow.

But today I switched to Fedora 25 and my R9 290 is working properly again.
                    Mesa 13.03
                    kernel 4.9.8-201.fc25.x86_64
                    wayland
                    Last edited by humbug; 10 February 2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X