Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Gets More Power-Related Fixes In Linux 4.11

Phoronix: AMDGPU Gets More Power-Related Fixes In Linux 4.11

It feels like the work on power management / clock-gating / PowerPlay is a never-ending mission within the AMDGPU DRM driver -- more work has been queued up for the next kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will the AMD reset bug be fixed when shutting down a VM with PCI passthrough so that you don't have to restart the host system to use the GPU again? I know there is a talented AMD GPU dev here so hopefully he can provide some insight on when that might be sorted Putting off buying a card and advising others about having to wait for the fix on r/vfio when they're looking into what hardware to get.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      Will the AMD reset bug be fixed when shutting down a VM with PCI passthrough so that you don't have to restart the host system to use the GPU again? I know there is a talented AMD GPU dev here so hopefully he can provide some insight on when that might be sorted Putting off buying a card and advising others about having to wait for the fix on r/vfio when they're looking into what hardware to get.
      There's been some vm fixes committed to the staging git recently; I vaguely remember a commit that fixes some reset issues...

Comment

What i dont get is that why dont they do it properly once or every so often and release a stable firmware that works crossplatform for critical stuff like power management and clocking..

Comment

I am on unstable gentoo so you dont have to tell me. Doesnt change the fact you have a whole os inside a kernel to operate an external computer. Such things require stable firmware for critical things. Its a small code that just works properly cross platform and doesnt need to update often like a lot of KISS software on linux distros.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            What i dont get is that why dont they do it properly once or every so often and release a stable firmware that works crossplatform for critical stuff like power management and clocking..
            are you asking why you don't have to buy new hardware to get improvements/bugfixes?

Comment

Which cards do not work? I have used R9 290 and RX 480.
              R9 290 have this issue resolved and RX480 worked when i got it.
              Maybe the Fiji line has still this problem?

Comment

Is there a bugzilla ticket for this ? I don't remember hearing about it before.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Is there a bugzilla ticket for this ? I don't remember hearing about it before.
                  I wouldn't know as I have NVIDIA hardware. It's just a common advice mentioned within that community with the new driver being pushed having this bug for PCI passthrough users. I just recall that those with recent AMD GPUs would not be able to start the VM up again with the GPU unless they restart the host system. I'll ask the community about a bug report for you If I hear anything I'll let you know.

Comment

Thanks. Even a forum post from a recent active user would be useful... I just don't think we have heard about this before or seen it in our testing.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X