Bad Performance No 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sparkzer View Post
    The tonga_k_smc.bin any chance you could link me to said file?
    All firmwares for released kernels are in linux-firmware git tree:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...-firmware.git/

Or direct lazy link to the mentioned file if you want

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...onga_k_smc.bin

Comment

It says command not found. As far as the dmesg command goes, here it is.
      http://pastebin.com/ftgL2xyR
      He, he, these robotic ubuntu mainline kernels For begining, why that 4.9.0 kernel when 4.9.9 build is available?

That even raise some firmware bug even for your CPU, not sure if it is just warning or something.

[Firmware Bug]: CPU1: APIC id mismatch. Firmware: 1 CPUID: 3
      also this does not look like latest microcode for the said CPU:

[ 3.880946] microcode: CPU0: patch_level=0x06000822
      than again for pci:

pci 0000:00:00.0: [Firmware Bug]: reg 0x1c: invalid BAR (can't size)
      and errors for usb:

24.743140] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
      [ 29.891050] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
      [ 45.506784] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
      and OK finally:

[ 4.063235] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for amdgpu/tonga_k_smc.bin failed with error -2

[ 4.063272] [drm:amdgpu_cgs_get_firmware_info [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Failed to request firmware

[ 4.063603] [ powerplay ] SMU Firmware start failed

[ 4.063605] [ powerplay ] smc start failed

[ 4.063626] [drm:amdgpu_device_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* hw_init of IP block <amdgpu_powerplay> failed -22

[ 4.063629] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: amdgpu_init failed

[ 4.173598] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: Fatal error during GPU init

[ 4.173602] [drm] amdgpu: finishing device.
      That looks like mentioned firmware missing... fatal is not alive

AMD FX 8350 OC'd @ 4GHz
      And on OC things around everthing might start misbehave and logs might does not make sense to even read... this just as a friendly warning there
      Or you just mean its clock is at @4GHz so clocked, but not OC (overclocked)?
      Last edited by dungeon; 11 February 2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

All firmwares for released kernels are in linux-firmware git tree:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...-firmware.git/

Or direct lazy link to the mentioned file if you want

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...onga_k_smc.bin
        OK, I placed that file in /lib/firmware/amdgpu and i'm getting a black screen immediately after grub. :-/ Anything I need to update in terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          And on OC things around everthing might start misbehave and logs might does not make sense to even read... this just as a friendly warning there
          Or you just mean its clock is at @4GHz so clocked, but not OC (overclocked)?
          Sorry didn't mean to mention that. I thought I already overclocked the CPU. Guess I was wrong. :-/ My last FX 4100 was overclocked though. That's probably where I got the 4GHz from OC. Sorry.

Comment

I ended up going back to Ubuntu 16.04.1 I think I'm missing the firmware file for it. The tonga_k_smc.bin any chance you could link me to said file? I'm bone stock right now. Just sucks that after I install the AMDGPU-PRO driver I get a black screen but the entire systems loads just fine but I keep getting booted back to the login screen after I blindly log in. Not even tty1 works. :-/ Absolutely no idea why this card is giving me this much of a hard time. Ill try Fedora and see what happens.
            Are you saying that you get the error message about tonga_k_smc.bin when booting after a fresh install of 16.04.1, before installing AMDGPU-PRO ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Are you saying that you get the error message about tonga_k_smc.bin when booting after a fresh install of 16.04.1, before installing AMDGPU-PRO ?
              Before and after installing amdgpu-pro.

EDIT:

Switched to Fedora 25 and everything works out of the box!! WOHOO!!! Minus a graphical error when trying to sign in with an online account but I can wait for that to be patched the next time updates go through.
              Last edited by sparkzer; 11 February 2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

OK, I placed that file in /lib/firmware/amdgpu and i'm getting a black screen immediately after grub. :-/ Anything I need to update in terminal?
                Initramfs update on that kernel ver i guess should do a thing, after placing in there manually... just found random same message with 16.10 and R9 380, 4.9 kernel also... but he seems make it working just by doing that

Dropped a copy of tonga_k_smc.bin into /lib/firmware/amdgpu and reloaded AMDGPU. It is now running without issues.
                http://askubuntu.com/questions/85258...are-load-error
                Last edited by dungeon; 11 February 2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Funny thing is that if that slowmo R9 380 bug is not fixed by recent Ubuntu's 4.8 kernel, 16.04.2 hwe kernel sound like will be same slowmo borked

Comment

Well, if I were to update to the stock Fedora Kernel 4.9.8 I get the same problems I had in Ubuntu. :-/ I'm stuck on 4.8.6 until I can get this fixed. :-/ At least I can play games at decent FPS for now.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

When you have problems with the amdgpu driver, use the latest code. Problems may already be fixed and if there is a problem developers are more interested.
                      Google how to make a custom kernel with you distribution and use these instructions:
                      https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
                      Well after waiting for 2 minutes on kernel 4.9.9, it boots normally, but the fan speeds are all stuck at 100% and I can't get them down. :-/ Haven't bothered to try running a game because I don't want the gpu to overheat, even though it says in terminal my gpu is at 0%. :-/ I still have full 3D working though.

Comment

Working...
                      X