Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 13.0 vs. 17.0 Performance For RADV/RadeonSI: Big Gains For Vulkan, OpenGL Boosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Distro packagers do not know nothing and does not have resources to test. Take the responsibility of your own computer, when you are using Linux.
    i'm not idiot like you and selected distro whose packagers are upstream devs

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Do you understand that "stable" kernel 4.9.9 does have very little bug fixes.
    i know what is 4.9.9 but how is it relevant to your comparison of -rc7 vs -wip?

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    actually it has parameter "rendering resolution" and just scales results to your monitor. but you can run x server in any resolution you like and trick talos
    It's not practical for automated testing, that's why Michael just tests at 4K for Talos.

Leave a comment:

• mitch074
    replied
    I used Oibaf's too, but Oibaf is still on LLVM 3.9 (or was, when I last tried it) and performance under DE:MD was abysmal. I also don't update my packages TOO often, as there are still a few breakdowns sometimes.
    I switched to kernel 4.9 recently, but impact on performance was imperceptible.

Leave a comment:

• cRaZy-bisCuiT
    replied
    Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
    I have DE :MD and a RX480; I hit 31fps at 1440p on Very high. Windows does 36 with the very same settings.
    Are you actually talking about AMDGPU + Mesa or is it AMDGPU-PRO? If that is Mesa it would be awesome! We could even outperform windows then one day if the port and drivers are better optimised under Linux.

About the VRAM: As long as your don't run into into full VRAM there's almost no performance difference between the quality settings of textures.

Leave a comment:

• mitch074
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post

Is that RadeonSI and not AMDGPU? If RadeonSI then that is fantastic!
    Padoka PPA around the time 17.0 was forked. That's average fps on a i5 [email protected] GHz, using xfce with compositing disabled. VRAM use is around 6 Gb (it climbs to 8 Gb with Ultra textures, which is the max my card supports). In-game though, walking around Pragues is awful due to strong slowdowns - but it's unrelated to quality settings as even at the lowest settings, frame rate drops something huge.
    I would guess that testing anything over Medium or High with these AMD cards slows down to a crawl due to VRAM use: tests done with all settings at Ultra except textures set at Medium would prevent VRAM problems, and really show off Mesa 17's improvements - texture size has little impact on rendering speed.

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied
    Deus Ex: MD on my AMD 380X (Mesa 17) will run on High Details no problem except for some areas still give me a 12 FPS kind of performance.

But the weird thing is, hang around in the area long enough and performance starts to really smooth out. Go to a new area, crappy FPS, eventually smooth again.

Could this be related to the lack of disk caching?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Or hire me to customer support.
    lol. i am amd customer and i would like to see you doing nvidia customer support

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by mibo View Post
    I you want to bench only one setting, please use a higher one next time. Thank you.
    actually benchmarks with different settings of same demanding game are very valuable: they show how performance could be improved by changing settings

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Because it already struggles enough on low that pushing it higher won't add much value but just take longer to test.
    well, it looks like dxmd is cpubound on fury on low on mesa17, so higher quality setting could surprise you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X