Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Winsys Gets Minor Optimization From Pitoiset

Phoronix: AMDGPU Winsys Gets Minor Optimization From Pitoiset

Samuel Pitoiset, former Nouveau contributor who is now working for Valve on AMD open-source Linux driver optimizations, landed some improvements this morning in Mesa Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I bet this guy has a much better time working developing drivers for AMD than Nvidia.

With Nouveau it had to be a pain in the ass to develop without any open source or documentation and he have to painstakingly reverse engineer everything and do a lot of guesswork.

With AMD he have open source code and documentation so it is much easier for him to code.

Good that AMD have open source and is attracting developers. Too bad for Nvidia that they don't open source and are not attracting developers.

Comment

Thanks Samuel, Marek and Nicolai!

They may only be 'small' changes but as one major supermarket chain here in the UK says, "every Lidl helps!"

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Good that AMD have open source and is attracting developers. Too bad for Nvidia that they don't open source and are not attracting developers.
        Considering how much Samuel has contributed to the Nouveau code your statement seam heavily one-sided. You could even say that he wasn't attracted to the AMD code, he actually had to be payed to work on it. But it would be much better to ask him his opinion, maybe do a short interview with him and submit it to Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          Considering how much Samuel has contributed to the Nouveau code your statement seam heavily one-sided. You could even say that he wasn't attracted to the AMD code, he actually had to be payed to work on it. But it would be much better to ask him his opinion, maybe do a short interview with him and submit it to Phoronix.
          That's actually a pretty good idea. I know AMD hates the idea that devs -need- to be official representatives. But it actually is a really freakin awesome thing.

Just my opinion here, but management that came out of marketing or personnel just aren't competent enough to be official representatives. That's how quad core CMT architectures became "8 cores".... It's waaay beyond time to let actually competent people make decisions.

Comment

It seems like 2017 will be the year of AMD driver performance optimizations, nice!

Personally, I've put my money where my mouth is and now am the proud owner of a MSI RX 470 Gaming X
            Been impressed so far by the temperatures and the silence : can't hear it even under full load and doesn't go above 65°C (under Unigine Heaven)
            Also Gallium Hud is really awesome!

Performance and stability wise, no problem to report yet (using padoka stable), just waiting on DAL/DC upstreaming for HDMI audio in order to hook the computer to the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              I know AMD hates the idea that devs -need- to be official representatives.
              ???

+ ?? to make the 5-char limit happy
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                You could even say that he wasn't attracted to the AMD code, he actually had to be payed to work on it.
                paid not by amd, but by valve which was attracted to the amd code

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  paid not by amd, but by valve which was attracted to the amd code
                  Yes, I'm aware. My point was that you could spin it either way if you wanted to, and both would probably not reflect reality.

Comment

Speaking of nouveau developers, is Martin Peres still working on it? I know his username on phoronix is mupuf, but it have some accents and I couldn't find him to tag it

Comment

Working...
                    X