AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agaman View Post
    Seems they have added the option to pass --compute to the install script and it will install only the kernel and the OpenCL bits. Now it's easier to use the closed OpenCL with Mesa.

Thats nice
    That sounds pretty nice. OpenCL 2 is the only part i miss on my GCN 1.0 (280X) card (mainly for Darktable).
    Can you point me to the components i need to build this on my Arch machine?

My guess is:
    - Build a kernel with "amdgpu support for SI/CIK parts".
    - Blacklist radeon module.

- Latest mesa
    - xf86-video-amdgpu
    - amdgpu-pro with --compute parameter

Anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Believe what you want, you need the latest amdgpu kernel code because of fast development and bug fixing. Debian testing Xfce is also stable, easier to maintain and freely configurable than any ubuntu.

Do not use ubuntu, it keeps you stupid.
      Of course. Don't only instruct a guy that asks whether some piece of hardware is supported to install a different OS, call him stupid for using whatever OS he uses while you're at it.
      That's how you add value to a community.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry3D View Post

That sounds pretty nice. OpenCL 2 is the only part i miss on my GCN 1.0 (280X) card (mainly for Darktable).
        Can you point me to the components i need to build this on my Arch machine?

My guess is:
        - Build a kernel with "amdgpu support for SI/CIK parts".
        - Blacklist radeon module.

- Latest mesa
        - xf86-video-amdgpu
        - amdgpu-pro with --compute parameter

Anything else?
        I haven't tried it with amdgpu pro, but when I tested the amdgpu kernel module on my 7850 (gcn 1.0) I ended up using the modesetting driver instead, as that meant that I could easily swap back and forth between kernel modules by rebooting to a different kernel if I had issues... You may want to given it a shot, as I've been using it at work and home and it's been doing fairly well

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

I haven't tried it with amdgpu pro, but when I tested the amdgpu kernel module on my 7850 (gcn 1.0) I ended up using the modesetting driver instead, as that meant that I could easily swap back and forth between kernel modules by rebooting to a different kernel if I had issues... You may want to given it a shot, as I've been using it at work and home and it's been doing fairly well
          Thank you. I will try it later.
          Just found a AUR package for the opencl module: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/

/edit: I think i don't have to build my own kernel. CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=y is already enabled in Arch
          Last edited by Perry3D; 27 January 2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Has someone tested it on Ubuntu 16.04 with Oland mobile chips (R7 m260/m260x)? bridgman ? agd5f?
            Last edited by vkrastev; 27 January 2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cde1 View Post
              I don't know if anyone from AMD is reading this, but the AMDGPU-PRO driver still lacks important functionality that used to be part of Catalyst:

- tear free desktop: this is extremely useful to watch movies without tearing. worked great on the 380/380X, why can't it be supported on Polaris?
              - more generally the lack of a commander center is a huge step back
              - cannot easily set a max target frequency to lower power consumption. In another thread I explained how to patch the driver source to achieve this, it'd be great to have a proper /sys interface to under/overclock and under/overvolt.

There are other regressions. I for one very much welcome AMD's open-source efforts, but some visibility for the closed-source driver roadmap would be great for us Linux users.

By the way Catalyst worked great on a number of distros including Debian: another huge step back.
              As a general guideline, the open source stack is the Catalyst replacement for consumer users (giving it even wider distro support) while AMDGPU-PRO is the Catalyst replacement for workstation users. It's a bit blurred right now because OpenCL and Vulkan are only "officially" available with the -PRO driver, but we are working on that.

Is there some other aspect that makes you want to stay with the closed-source drivers going forward ?

Is lack of tear-free desktop for video also an issue with the all-open stack ?

Will look for the patch you mentioned.
              Test signature

Comment

TearFree can be enabled via an option in your xorg config. The ddx is shared between both stacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry3D View Post

Thank you. I will try it later.
                  Just found a AUR package for the opencl module: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/

/edit: I think i don't have to build my own kernel. CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=y is already enabled in Arch
                  Sadly, i get an error with luxmark and darktable: OpenCL ERROR: clCreateCommandQueue(-6)

Comment

Originally posted by agaman View Post
                    Seems they have added the option to pass --compute to the install script and it will install only the kernel and the OpenCL bits. Now it's easier to use the closed OpenCL with Mesa.

Thats nice
                    Brilliant! That just plain awesome!
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Is there some other aspect that makes you want to stay with the closed-source drivers going forward ?
                    As far I can see stability is main concern for some cards. Grenada issue hopefully soon will be resolved and this Trinidad DPM issue (Comment 5) seems like not even triaged (I admit that reporter shouldn't describe Trinidad issue in bugreport about Mars, but nobody even tell him to fill separate bugreport).
                    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 27 January 2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

i update my livecd with pro opencl\vulkan and radv

Comment

Working...
                      X