Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Developer Posts New AMD GPU Debugging Tool, Part Of Improving Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post

AMD did nothing here, Valve did the job for them.

Intel, considered as evil here, has on its side did the job themselves...
    who considers intel as evil? sources...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Just install lib32-mesa-git and you will be fine.
      This is what I originally do though - installed mesa-git and lib32-mesa-git. OS rebooted and the crashes were still present. Is that all?

Comment

Why should other people have to do AMD's job for them ? With Nvidia I buy the hardware and it's supported on all platforms for 10 years. Man up AMD and sort your act out.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

AMD did nothing here, Valve did the job for them.

Intel, considered as evil here, has on its side did the job themselves...
          ...Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's a good thing! Since AMD has opted to put all their effort into open source, other companies and individuals can fix problems or create useful tools and features for their GPUs / etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
            Why should other people have to do AMD's job for them ? With Nvidia I buy the hardware and it's supported on all platforms for 10 years. Man up AMD and sort your act out.
            So maybe I'm missing something, but aren't we supporting open source drivers for 10 year old hardware as well ?

The point here is not that other people *have* to do the work (we're about to release our own debug tool that has been in the works for a few months) but that they *can* do work like this as a result of us open sourcing the drivers and hardware information.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              So maybe I'm missing something, but aren't we supporting the open source drivers for 10 year old hardware as well ?

The point here is not that other people *have* to do the work (we're about to release our own debug tool that has been in the works for a few months) but that they *can* do work like this as a result of us open sourcing the drivers and hardware information.
              ALL PLATFORMS ! I don't just use Linux you know.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

who considers intel as evil? sources...
                If I source from Phoronix I will get all Michael's forum storage full!

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                  I'm glad to see that AMD's push for open source is paying off! With all this support from the community, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD drivers caught up or surpassed NVIDIA by the year's end.
                  NVIDIA doesn't even have open source drivers so AMD is ahead of them by a long long shot. NVIDIA needs to catch up big time.

Comment

NVIDIA needs to man up. They've failed so badly. No documentation. No open source drivers. A lack of support. It's a joke. Get your shit together NVIDIA.

Comment

Where is that "10 years" info from?

If i investigate it like this, as here it say 304.xx serie supported till end of 2017:

And found eldest serie supported there that is 6 Series:

So that launched on april 2004...

Summa summarum, that makes it if i counted right more than 13 years of support .

So it is minimum 10 years and depending on chip, but can be even more for somebody
                      Last edited by dungeon; 12 January 2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X