Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Developer Posts New AMD GPU Debugging Tool, Part Of Improving Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Developer Posts New AMD GPU Debugging Tool, Part Of Improving Linux Driver

Phoronix: Valve Developer Posts New AMD GPU Debugging Tool, Part Of Improving Linux Driver

Another Valve developer has begun contributing to the open-source AMD Linux graphics driver stack. Besides posting some RADV Vulkan patches last week, today he's announced a new GPU debugging tool he's been working on for AMD's driver/hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Phoronix
    This tool simply called "gputool" so far just supports reading and decoding registers
    I wonder whether this tool and marcan's Radeon RAI tools can benefit from each other.

Comment

I'm glad to see that AMD's push for open source is paying off! With all this support from the community, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD drivers caught up or surpassed NVIDIA by the year's end.

Comment

Cool! So maybe I can find out why TF2 is still crashing on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by kamild1996 View Post
          Cool! So maybe I can find out why TF2 is still crashing on Linux...
          Are you running Mesa 13.0.3 or Mesa-git? If not, there was a very recent fix for a texture streaming issue. I used to not be able to finish a single game, but now I can play for hours flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post

Are you running Mesa 13.0.3 or Mesa-git? If not, there was a very recent fix for a texture streaming issue. I used to not be able to finish a single game, but now I can play for hours flawlessly.
            Do you mean that Mesa bug that was unfixed for x years and finally got fixed? If so, then yeah, I updated to the latest version of Mesa from git and it sadly didn't fix the problem.

Comment

Considering things, this is an awesome development. Very excited that it is happening!

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                I'm glad to see that AMD's push for open source is paying off! With all this support from the community, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD drivers caught up or surpassed NVIDIA by the year's end.

When I think about everything going on the last year in MESA with AMD I can't help but think of this scene from Star Trek

I certainly think that if development in 2017 looks anything like 2016 their 2017 GPU will rek on Linux as the RX 480 already gives a very clean 1080p experience.

Comment

When i think of ATi/AMD i think of someone who needs help and not just one time - they need it constantly
                  Last edited by dungeon; 12 January 2017, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kamild1996 View Post

Do you mean that Mesa bug that was unfixed for x years and finally got fixed? If so, then yeah, I updated to the latest version of Mesa from git and it sadly didn't fix the problem.
                    Just to make absolutely sure: You did update the 32-bit binaries from Git, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X