No announcement yet.

AMDGPU vs. Radeon GCN 1.0/1.1 Benchmarks With Linux 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to build a custom kernel 4.10-rc2 with AMDGPU support for my R7 370 on Debian. Unfortunately, when I start the X server, my monitor reports unsupported frequency, while GNOME on Wayland works well. I'm using Debian testing with mesa 13.0.2, Xorg 1.19.0, xorg-video-amdgpu 1.2.0 and libdrm 2.4.74.

What could be the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneKEA View Post
      I'm currently running Mesa 13 with the 4.8 kernel and a GCN 1.0 Southern Islands chip. Would I see any significant performance improvement (possibly at the expense of stability) if I switched to the 4.10 AMDGPU driver but retained the Mesa 13 stack in user space?
      In general you are not going to see a significant performance change going from radeon to amdgpu - the benefit is mostly if there is some userspace driver you want that works with amdgpu but not with radeon.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Elinvention View Post
        I tried to build a custom kernel 4.10-rc2 with AMDGPU support for my R7 370 on Debian. Unfortunately, when I start the X server, my monitor reports unsupported frequency, while GNOME on Wayland works well. I'm using Debian testing with mesa 13.0.2, Xorg 1.19.0, xorg-video-amdgpu 1.2.0 and libdrm 2.4.74.

What could be the problem?
        First thought would be to check dmesg output for any microcode loading errors, and make sure you are running latest microcode from upstream. IIRC some of the recent changes to amdgpu SI support included fixes to load the correct microcode into SI GPUs.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

First thought would be to check dmesg output for any microcode loading errors, and make sure you are running latest microcode from upstream. IIRC some of the recent changes to amdgpu SI support included fixes to load the correct microcode into SI GPUs.
          Logs seems clear to me, both dmesg and Xorg.log.

I think my firmwares are up to date, and I followed what Daniel Exner suggested in this freedesktop bug report.

RadeonSI works well.
          AMDGPU + Wayland = no problems, games work well even on XWayland, like with RadeonSI.
          AMDGPU + X = unsupported frequency.

Perhaps I have to build a newer X or it's a waste of time?

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
            Could you try again with today (or yesterday) padoka git build? I messed up and was installing the radeon vulkan drivers in the wrong place, i fixed it this week.

Added: i also fixed the stable mesa build

I'm a Gentoo user, so it's unlikely I'll do that

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use Xfce and lightdm. Gnome is buggy software and you can not even tweak the desktop.
              Ok, but it's not Gnome's fault. I noticed this
              Code:
              [drm] xxxx: dce_v6_0_afmt_setmode ----no impl !!!!!!!!
              in dmesg, that I previously overlooked and that led me to https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97861, so I tried
              Code:
              xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --auto --set audio off
              and that restores the screen.

Comment

Working...
              X