AMDGPU vs. Radeon GCN 1.0/1.1 Benchmarks With Linux 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lumks View Post
    I'm also happy with my 290 on amdgpu only, for month already.
    Yeah, same for me. The only problem I've had is that I'm unable to start any Vulkan demo programs because of some LLVM linking thing. I tried starting the Talos Principle in Vulkan mode and that crashed immediately.

Comment

So I forget - why is GCN1.1 not enabled in the kernel yet? Even though my 290 works fine on radeonsi, it seems to me that it is more stable on amdgpu.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        So I forget - why is GCN1.1 not enabled in the kernel yet? Even though my 290 works fine on radeonsi, it seems to me that it is more stable on amdgpu.
        Because it didn't make sense to even start trying to change the default until we reached the point you just described.
        Test signature

Comment

That s a good job from AMD, long live to AMDGPU

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Yeah, same for me. The only problem I've had is that I'm unable to start any Vulkan demo programs because of some LLVM linking thing. I tried starting the Talos Principle in Vulkan mode and that crashed immediately.
            Try Manjaro. They have a simple package for amdgpu support on GCN1.0 and up with working vulkan https://forum.manjaro.org/t/amdgpu-i...njaro/7890/472

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Could you try again with today (or yesterday) padoka git build? I messed up and was installing the radeon vulkan drivers in the wrong place, i fixed it this week.

Added: i also fixed the stable mesa build
              Last edited by groo_pcd; 04 January 2017, 09:13 PM. Reason: added stable mesa info

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Because it didn't make sense to even start trying to change the default until we reached the point you just described.
                So when will it get enabled by default?

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
                  Once it is enabled or not... in next 2 years or less i guess

My APU is borked on both but differently, so whatever they enable or not it is the same for me
                  Last edited by dungeon; 05 January 2017, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
                    I don't know yet, we're haven't started working on changing defaults yet AFAIK. Open question is whether it's worth trying to change default for CI and SI separately or whether we should wait until SI support in amdgpu is also ready to replace radeon upstream.
                    Test signature

Comment

I'm currently running Mesa 13 with the 4.8 kernel and a GCN 1.0 Southern Islands chip. Would I see any significant performance improvement (possibly at the expense of stability) if I switched to the 4.10 AMDGPU driver but retained the Mesa 13 stack in user space?

Comment

Working...
                      X