Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When can we expect FREESYNC in open source driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

But clicking is simplier, do not forget we are talking about majority and not only about keyboard ninjas

You download driver from AMD site, if you decide to trust them or not that is your choice - read EULA click if you agree or don't if you don't is usual agreement. BTW, what that has to do with type of installation i dunno, it is about making things easier for majority... are we going into offtopic again?

Probably not as we don't agree who are majority in the first place, you think that majority should learn what you know while i think majority shouldn't be required to know anything neither what you and i know.

Scenario is people buy card, install os, install driver and play games There should be least amount learing curve. What else is needed? That majority are not even interested about your bugzilla, your plans, bugs and regressions - they would like to dunno anything about it

It is simple app-centric approach what majorty likes about particular OS, does things work or not. And that is end of the story. Majority shouldn't be required to know anything about your OS details and complications during development.

It is that simple "tell me does it work or not, where it works and if it don't tell me when it will work", otherwise good bye
    It's plainly obvious what you want and there is already an OS called Windows that is designed just the way you like. Use that.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      It's plainly obvious what you want and there is already an OS called Windows that is designed just the way you like. Use that.
      Happy development then on your OS for developers only Show your apps to other developers, they will be happy about how good your code looks like
      Last edited by dungeon; 09 January 2017, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Btw i should clarify guys that what i am saying is i hole they make GUI CLIENT for amd driver. Aka it can be installed via distro specific package manager with 1 click and once installed u see driver with ability to overclock video card.

I was not saying we need a gui installer. But if we dont have one then the install as a package has to wor with no complications.

Comment

I know of what you talk about, it is just bridgman mentioned that GUI installer on Dungeon's Linux i didn't even mentioned before

Comment

Understood. Auksinis has only talked about a control-panel-type GUI. We are implementing the driver-level functionality required to support such a GUI now, and once that is done will see whether there has been any progress on vendor-independent control panels integrated with each DE or whether we need to look at vendor-specific GUI.

Dungeon, I don't see how you can say "i didn't even mentioned before" - you had a half dozen posts before my comment talking about "clicking here to install" and similar GUI-install comments.

It just seems to me that a better use of time would be understanding why most of the people you get input from apparently do want a GUI installer while most of the people I get input from (in theory the same people) want to use existing distro mechanisms, whether they have a GUI or not.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Dungeon, I don't see how you can say "i didn't even mentioned before" - you had a half dozen posts before my comment talking about "clicking here to install" and similar GUI-install comments.
              I said what is *generally* easier so from convenience standpoint for majority, preferably clickable easy solutions instead of compiling, debugging, being on bugzilla most of the time, etc... i didn't talked about GUI installer before you mentioned it. Only after you mentined it, i tried to note that even that can be put into consideration. Basically no one stops you to design things the way you want, regardless what few or most people wants.

Understood. Auksinis has only talked about a control-panel-type GUI. We are implementing the driver-level functionality required to support such a GUI now, and once that is done will see whether there has been any progress on vendor-independent control panels integrated with each DE or whether we need to look at vendor-specific GUI.
              So, you just said we won't do it and i can't possibly understand how you can be blind that much Don't mind and just do it vendor specific, because i don't think RPi's GPU would catch up to Vega in next couple decades... and who cares really now, when you are breaking things couple times in one decade

People will continue to joke really, as even that RPi has more GUIs to control hardware than AMD on Linux
              Last edited by dungeon; 10 January 2017, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I said what is *generally* easier so from convenience standpoint for majority, preferably clickable easy solutions instead of compiling, debugging, being on bugzilla most of the time, etc... i didn't talked about GUI installer before you mentioned it. Only after you mentined it, i tried to note that even that can be put into consideration. Basically no one stops you to design things the way you want, regardless what few or most people wants.
                OK, then apparently I misunderstood you, so please ignore my response. I still don't see how to interpret your words as referring to anything but a GUI installer but if you are just saying "convenient installation" then we are in agreement.

So, you just said we won't do it and i can't possibly understand how you can be blind that much Don't mind and just do it vendor specific, because i don't think RPi's GPU would catch up to Vega in next couple decades... and who cares really now, when you are breaking things couple times in one decade
                Um, no, I just said we are working on it but the driver support has to come first. I don't see how you can interpret my words as "won't do it".

People will continue to joke really, as even that RPi has more GUIs to control hardware than AMD on Linux
                Sure, but we have considered performant GL 4.5 drivers as higher priority than a GUI - do you think that was the wrong choice ?
                Test signature

Comment

Sure, but we have considered performant GL 4.5 drivers as higher priority than a GUI - do you think that was the wrong choice ?
                  Yes, i think that is a wrong priority... you investing so much into unknown future and forgetting about your current users now. Remember that we are talking about majority, now tell me how much GL4.5 apps are out there... it is maybe only one or something and i am not sure it is even available for Linux No Man Sky i think it is called, but even them upon users request just lower down that requrement, so in practice your priority has zero users who must need that . On VK it is again couple of those for a near whole year... it is even on those non default, that hardly represent majority.

Um, no, I just said we are working on it but the driver support has to come first. I don't see how you can interpret my words as "won't do it".
                  Because it is not there for majority, you want to fire up slowest development part and that is everyone DE/WM to catch up to something, but that goes as slow as it can be
                  Last edited by dungeon; 11 January 2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Auksinis View Post
                    I look at all of the posts in this thread and I dont know if I should laugh or cry.

I would suggest you people check your calendar. We live in the year 2017. the 21st CENTURY.
                    Totally agree, sad but true - we even discuss something that shouldn't be discussed

Comment

Why should anybody change everything because of one single driver? OP said he don't have knowledge nor time to do that, but we continue to feed him with our informations.

I dunno really what we discuss here, how it goes duby229 will also say to Linus Torvalds to go to Windows as he also complain when something is inconvenient

Even RMS itself talk more about inconvenience than about free software, if you listen him right and can read between lines Both blob and opensource software can produce inconvenience, there is no difference there
                      Last edited by dungeon; 11 January 2017, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X