Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Arch Linux Benchmarks Of AMDGPU & AMDGPU-PRO

Phoronix: Fresh Arch Linux Benchmarks Of AMDGPU & AMDGPU-PRO

Phoronix reader "Darkbasic" who many of you know from the forums and some of his past benchmarks has shared with us his latest numbers when testing the open-source AMDGPU+RadeonSI stack on Arch Linux as well as when using the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver. Enjoy!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think Talos received some updates to improve the Vulkan performance as of recent, I could be wrong but that may be why it runs better then previous tests under RADV

Comment

By the way the dkms module does not compile on Arch, so I forward ported some patches available for amdgpu-pro 16.30. I forgot to upload them but I will share them tomorrow.

One more note: the "old" radeon driver may be a bit slower, but it's much more tested and stable than amdgpu (which isn't bad at all). With Linux 4.10 amdgpu isn't in a much worse state in GCN 1.0 hardware than Polaris, but radeon on GCN 1.0 is simply more rock solid than amdgpu on RX 470. Anyway with the upcoming kernel 4.9 amdgpu it's the default for GCN 1.0 on Arch (but not for GCN 1.1). If you need OpenCL this is definitely a good choice since a package is available in the AUR to use the proprietary OpenCL driver with the free stack.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

well done darkbasic - nice article

Comment

darkbasic any pro Vulkan results?

Comment

Here is the link to the DKMS patches for amdgpu-pro 16.50: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kU?usp=sharing
            They should work up to 4.7, but I only tested 4.4 and 4.7.

If you want to try DAL on Arch you should add the lcarlier repository and install the linux-amd-staging package. I had to recompile it to enable GCN 1.0 support because it was missing.

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            well done darkbasic - nice article
            Thanks!

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            darkbasic any pro Vulkan results?
            Unfortunately not, I had to hand back the system (which I assembled for a friend) before being able to figure out why Vulkan didn't work with PRO. Probably something stupid like missing permissions or something like that, because I didn't dig deep. I also tried radvd on GCN 1.0 + amdgpu but unfortunately it didn't work. I own the HD 7950 and an Ivy Bridge processor so if you manage to fix it I will probably be able to test it again in the future.
            ## VGA ##

Comment

darkbasic Interesting (especially GPU performance dependency on the CPU), thanks for sharing. In your blogpost you also mention you would like to filter out some of the results. I have previously attempted something similar and have described the process here in the forums. If you know which results/configurations from certain openbenchmarking runs you want to combine in a plot I could give it a go. I think being able to mash-up results/configurations in plots would be a nice additional feature in either PTS or on Openbenchmarking.org (I'll have to formulate this into a nice issue on the PTS Github repo).

Comment

Why is there almost no difference in the performance between 1080p and 4K?

Comment

Interesting - I've been considering installing amdgpu-pro on my Arch setup since radeonsi seems to have serious performance issues playing Rocket League. The only reason I haven't done so sooner is because I have an R9 290, which isn't officially supported yet. Assuming the issues causing it to be experimental aren't too bad, I might get the modified kernel from the AUR.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidovitch View Post
                    I'll have to formulate this into a nice issue on the PTS Github repo
                    I think you should do so

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Assuming the issues causing it to be experimental aren't too bad, I might get the modified kernel from the AUR.
                    It isn't in the AUR, it's in the lcarlier repo called mesa-git: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ories#mesa-git
                    You can easily install it with pacman -S linux-amd-staging after adding the repo to /etc/pacman.conf, *BUT* he didn't enable amdgpu GCN 1.0/1.1 support in the config, so you will have to recompile it to enable it. Get the PKGBUILD plus the other files from here (https://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/mesa-...x-amd-staging/), then uncomment make nconfig from the PKGBUILD and run makepkg -s. It will launch nconfig, which will allow you to enable GCN 1.0/1.1 support in amdgpu (drivers-->graphics-->amdgpu-->something). Then you will be able to install the resulting package with pacman -U filename. Then look for nmset's pastebin (http://pastebin.com/Pfsirxtb) in the AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/amdgpu-pro-installer/). Someone should really, really fix the proper PKGBUILD (which is still for 16.30 instead of 16.50).

If you don't need amdgpu-pro but you just need OpenCL you can build opencl-amd from the AUR instead (which is fortunately at version 16.50).
                    ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                    X