GCN 1.0 Southern Islands Seeing AMDGPU Improvements With Linux 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCN 1.0 Southern Islands Seeing AMDGPU Improvements With Linux 4.10

Phoronix: GCN 1.0 Southern Islands Seeing AMDGPU Improvements With Linux 4.10

While the DRM feature updates for Linux 4.10 were already sent in and integrate the AMDGPU improvements for the next kernel release, a fixes pull request sent in now gives more hope for GCN 1.0 "Southern Islands" users wanting to run AMDGPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it possible to use Kernel 4.9 for AMDGPU-PRO with SI or only the upcoming Kernel 4.10? Which version of AMDGPU-PRO will support SI cards, because in the download area of amd drivers for SI Linux, there is still the old crimson edition driver?

Comment

Originally posted by predator7 View Post
      Is it possible to use Kernel 4.9 for AMDGPU-PRO with SI or only the upcoming Kernel 4.10? Which version of AMDGPU-PRO will support SI cards, because in the download area of amd drivers for SI Linux, there is still the old crimson edition driver?
      Yes it does work on 4.9.

Stable enough but I would not use that except if you want to use or test vulkan.

Comment

Which version of AMDGPU-PRO will support SI cards, because in the download area of amd drivers for SI Linux, there is still the old crimson edition driver?
        Latest AMDGPU-PRO support SI cards, but Crimson also supports SI cards... not clear but we can even say one is for newer while another one for older distros. Together with opensource driver which can also be stable or utter git (break here patch there compile bisect patch compile break... and again) everybody can found what they need/like i guess

Comment

If you are going to use 4.9 / 4.10 kernel then you will probably have more success with the all-open stack. The AMDGPU-PRO driver is currently packaged for use with older kernels.

If you are thinking about making a franken-stack combining a new kernel with it's built-in kernel driver plus just the userspace from AMDGPU-PRO that may partially work but it is not something we support or even test.

Which GPU do you have ? The SI support in the 16.50 AMDGPU-PRO driver is pretty new and only supports a subset of the SI cards at the moment.
          Test signature

Comment

Unfortunate owner of a 7870 here, which was bought mainly because of the promise of open source drivers. GCN 1.0 has always been in constant beta situation. At first the focus was on previous generations. Years passed and right at the point when drivers started to become usable, AMD decided to introduce the new AMDGPU driver with GCN 1 left out of support. The brilliant move was that that happened right at the point of Ubuntu LTS release and without Catalyst available! I mean seriously!

I am still waiting for stable, full featured drivers for my 7870 for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I don't care that much about open source, however that would be good. I care about STABLE supported driver (Catalyst, AMDGPU-PRO, whatever).

Thanks
            Last edited by zoomblab; 22 December 2016, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Other than Vulkan (which doesn't really have any native games yet) what do you feel you are missing from the radeon-based stack that ships in 16.04 and which can be updated with new kernels + userspace packages from upstream ?

The radeon-based stack is the supported one for SI, not the in-development amdgpu-based one.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Other than Vulkan (which doesn't really have any native games yet) what do you feel you are missing from the radeon-based stack that ships in 16.04 and which can be updated with new kernels + userspace packages from upstream ?

The radeon-based stack is the supported one for SI, not the in-development amdgpu-based one.
                OpenCL :/

Comment

I didn't get the impression that zoomblab was thinking about OpenCL although maybe that is possible.
                  Test signature

Comment

bridgman
                    Currently I miss the catalyst control panel. It had its flaws. However, a comprehensive gui is needed in order to be informed and tinker with the capabilities of the hardware. Also I like to be able to install and update the drivers my self, preferably by downloading a single package with a gui installer, so that I do not depend on what the distribution provides.
                    Another thing is that my card used to be quiter with the catalyst drivers.

More in general I would like the game developers to have drivers that they can rely on, so that they do not only support nvidia. For this driver will have to have qualities like completeness, stability, and user friendliness.

Comment

Working...
                    X