Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An AMDGPU Branch For Security PSP / HDCP Support

Phoronix: An AMDGPU Branch For Security PSP / HDCP Support

There's an AMDGPU Linux branch in development for supporting HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) security and the PSP (Platform Security Processor)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who needs this crap, besides the companies that want huge piles of money?
    Thanks AMD for developing ANTI-USER features.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      they are not developing those, just implenting them. if they won´t do that the users would cry: "why is hdmi-audio not working. where is my netflix?"
      wouldn´t you?

Comment

Exactly. Support for HDMI receivers is nice

Comment

Maybe it can add some services that is to make Linux usage much more attractive to BFUs

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            they are not developing those, just implenting them. if they won´t do that the users would cry: "why is hdmi-audio not working. where is my netflix?"
            wouldn´t you?
            Don't be a smartass, he is obviously refering to that they are developing the implementation.

If neither intel nor AMD decided to implement this shit we would all be fine.

Comment

This sucks, features like HDMI audio and FreeSync still far from merging in the kernel. I'm okay with current driver and everything but why I can't use the basic features of my GPU just because I'm choose Linux? are we payed less than a Window$ user? and yes I know about David Airlie's respond

Comment

Can't wait till someone cracks/hacks/leaks the golden keys to the PSP or IME.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post

Maybe it can add some services that is to make Linux usage much more attractive to BFUs
                  I'm not sure what BFU stands for, but the implementation isn't for most FOSS end users. It doesn't work if the OS and HW aren't locked down all the way from boot (i.e. HW based Secure boot) to the monitor connection (HDCP). If you break the chain anywhere, the PSP just shuts down and disallows protected content if the vender (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) requests it. For example, this is needed for 4K on Netflix to work; every company has it's desired security level we need to implement various levels of widevine (Linux) and Playready (Windows) to meet these needs.

As I said, it's not forced on anyone, it's just implemented. If your system is one of those OEM locked down systems, it will work, but if your system is customized in anyway, it's just a dead code path that doesn't affect you what so ever, aside from venders denying you content because you don't have the DRM available.

Realistically we have Windows and Linux customers that pay us money to implement it, so we implement it. Not having it available in Linux is just silliness, as these Linux customers in turn fund a lot of development of the AMDGPU (as in FOSS) driver.

EDIT: Note that widevine does work without the PSP or other HW equivalent, but at in a "lower security mode". Some some vendors allow it, such as netflix, but will likely limit your connection; for example, I believe Netflix will limit your quality settings depending video you select (I'm assuming depending on the movie studio) and probably also throttle your connection.
                  Last edited by Mystro256; 20 December 2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                    If neither intel nor AMD decided to implement this shit we would all be fine.
                    DHCP was developed by Intel, so AMD has really no choice here.

Comment

Working...
                    X