An AMDGPU Branch For Security PSP / HDCP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    I mean seriously, how would people be pissed if their cars refused to drive on non constructor approved roads?
    That's one of the things that concerns me about the move to self-driving vehicles. It won't be long before manufacturers notice how much money they can save by leaving out manual controls, and at that point off-roaders are going to have to become hackers just to get their vehicles past the trail head.

"You can drive it off-road with this iPhone app but you can't have anyone in the vehicle"

Forget about hoarding guns, I think I'm going to start hoarding vehicles with solid axles and no computers other than the fuel injection and AM/FM radio.

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Why the hell would you need to change encryption key of HDCP anyway? They are all generated from a master key somewhere so they are all functionally identical.
      Sorry for not answering you earlier.
      I have multiple use cases in mind, but the main idea is to prevent eavesdropping (hardware of software keyloggers).
      Take for example the signal messaging application: you can't take screenshots of it unless you disable this protection in the settings. If you encrypt the video signal all the way from the compositor to the screen, that's actually a very reduced attack surface.
      I would also like to see something similar implemented in the keyboards, to be honest. I've seen enough physical keyloggers, som of which were integrated into the keyboard, other wireless (to spoof on BT keyboards) to become wary of those. A few good encryption schemes are possible there. And if there's a security feature on my computer, I like being able to control it, and note leave it to an "untrusted" entity somewhere who has a master key (which is used on MY system to prevent ME from accessing MY content !!!!).

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        I have multiple use cases in mind, but the main idea is to prevent eavesdropping (hardware of software keyloggers).
        Ah yeah, the old "I want to use stuff used for DRM to be safer myself too". I don't disagree on principle, but in practice yeah I do.
        I'm personally not going to trust DRM systems do be much more than an annoyance (given HDCP's track record and overall uselessness, it's more of a "planned obsolescence gimmick" than "DRM enforcement", which are both a few leagues away from "security" anyway), things supposed to provide security should be designed to do that from the start. DRM stuff tends to have too much secondary objectives (any bug in hardware means hardware obsolescence, and these days it's favorable for the manufacturer to do not do a very through work on that) and corner-cutting (as in 99% of the cases they don't want actual security) to be really trustworthy for anything that isn't deceiving content providers into believing some client system is safe and that someone won't steal the content and upload it on piratebay anyway.

And if there's a security feature on my computer, I like being able to control it, and note leave it to an "untrusted" entity somewhere who has a master key (which is used on MY system to prevent ME from accessing MY content !!!!).
        DRM is not a security feature, the same as the content it protects isn't yours.

Comment

Working...
        X