Valve Wants To Improve AMDGPU Linux Driver For VR To Avoid Motion Sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Wants To Improve AMDGPU Linux Driver For VR To Avoid Motion Sickness

Phoronix: Valve Wants To Improve AMDGPU Linux Driver For VR To Avoid Motion Sickness

A developer at Valve has issued a request for comments on a proposal to implement high priority scheduling in the AMDGPU kernel driver in order to benefit their Linux VR efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good guy Valve

Comment

So in other words this is the switch to
      1. Amdgpu as the new "professional" tree
      2. RadV as the main and important Vulkan implementation for AMD users.

Given that, amd should just kill off amdgpu-pro and really do 100% open-source work + give support for this driverpath

Comment

I have motion sickness already even if i just think about putting that VR shit on my head

Comment

VR is not shit but cool. I only await the next generation, cheaper and with higher resolution, mainly for X-Plane.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
            VR is not shit but cool. I only await the next generation, cheaper and with higher resolution, mainly for X-Plane.
            To me even compositors are shit . I have... let say static sickness of these too . So i think it is not for everybody and for everything, altough it might have some interesting usecases for those who like it and of course once tech improve as you say it might be better... but for now, shit
            Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
              So in other words this is the switch to
              1. Amdgpu as the new "professional" tree
              2. RadV as the main and important Vulkan implementation for AMD users.

Given that, amd should just kill off amdgpu-pro and really do 100% open-source work + give support for this driverpath
              in other words you didn't get it.
              1. amdgpu is used by amdgpu-pro, so what does this point give you?
              2. obviously valve can't work on closed vulkan, so they will work on open.

missed points:
              3. most important work will be done in shared kernel driver
              4. amd can't kill off amdgpu-pro no matter how much you ask, because it has paying customers. it's about as stupid as asking to kill off windows driver
              5. amd is working on opening their vulkan driver, i.e. it will become really 100% open-source
              6. amd does give support for this driverpath, this mail is for working out technical details. btw, this developer from valve is ex-developer from amd
              Last edited by pal666; 17 December 2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Valve has linux efforts again? That's kinda news. Last time we looked Valve almost abandoned their linux efforts and did almost nothing for ages.

Comment

I <3 Valve more and more. And it seems like what I expected was just happening: Not only the community but also companies like Valve profiting from working drivers simply solve their own problems effectively together. Although it may take longer than estimated until the drivers overtake Nvidias I am sure that the potential of open source is generally greater because of the bigger amount of potential developers.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    ... this developer from valve is ex-developer from amd.
                    Really? So, only hat is now different

Comment

Working...
                    X