Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best out-of-box performance per dollar: HD7770, RX260x or RX460?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best out-of-box performance per dollar: HD7770, RX260x or RX460?

What would you choose? I'm using Ubuntu 16.10 with Padoka PPA. I can buy a HD7770 for 50€, RX260X for 55€ and RX460 for 120€.

I pretend to use the open source stack, ofc.

btw, I'm using Core 2 Duo E8400 OC'ed to 4.0GHz with 8GB of RAM DDR2 1066MHz
    Last edited by MVinhas; 15 December 2016, 01:41 PM.

In terms of perf/$ I think the 260X wins at those prices. The 460X will be faster but I don't think it will be almost 2X as fast.
    Test signature

Comment

I assume you mean the R7 260X. Don't buy the 7770, it is first generation GCN, meaning no FreeSync.

The RX 460 is interesting because it can be unlocked from 896 to 1024 shaders which will improve price/performance, if you are willing to do this. Plus it has more modern UVD (with 4K HEVC support) and consumes less power.

Comment

Is there any big difference between the 2GB and 4GB model, in RX460?

I don't want to play any fancy games (Euro and American Truck Simulator and Football Manager 2017 are my favourite games atm), I just want to make the best deal possible. If the RX460 turns out to be a great deal, I can even replace my good 750Ti in my Pentium K G3258 OC'ed to 4,4GHz, but for now I just want to replace my HD5770 because this pretty old baby is starting to have some problems, plus this card only support OpenGL 3.3 in mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          The RX 460 is interesting because it can be unlocked from 896 to 1024 shaders which will improve price/performance, if you are willing to do this. Plus it has more modern UVD (with 4K HEVC support) and consumes less power.
          Obligatory PSA - you *may* be able to unlock depending on the specific chip you get. Or you may be enabling defective blocks with predictable results.

Agree with all the other points chithanh made though.
          Test signature

Comment

Thinking in long term (cof cof replace my 750Ti in Pentium K PC), the RX470, for 199 Euro, is a greater deal than RX460 for 120€?

On Windows this should be a no brainer, because RX470 is killing everyone with his super performance per dollar (what a great job in DirectX12), but I have some doubts in Linux.

Comment

4 GB is important for man games at 1920x1080. Though Truck Simulator and Football Manager will probably run fine on a 2 GB card too.

It all depends on your budget though, if you want to spend
              60€ -> 260X
              120€ -> 460
              200€ -> 470 (or 480 which also sells at that price sometimes)

Also keep in mind that your CPU is maybe a bit old, so you may start hitting CPU limits in some games if you buy a 470.

bridgman
              Per the article, the unlock success rate of the RX 460 has been 100% so far - but you are right that nobody will guarantee that it works.

Comment

Originally posted by MVinhas View Post
                What would you choose? I'm using Ubuntu 16.10 with Padoka PPA. I can buy a HD7770 for 50€, RX260X for 55€ and RX460 for 120€.
                I always choose newer card as that is by definition the better, maybe around card release you should be in doubt... But P11 is old enough now drivers to be stabilised.... especially 6-12 months after some card release i don't recommending looking back Only if something is so cheap available so you can't resist it

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                Per the article, the unlock success rate of the RX 460 has been 100% so far - but you are right that nobody will guarantee that it works.
                Per comments under video, success is nowhere that much... and perf bump might not be because of unlocked shaders, but PCI-Ex version also bumped by flashing as i see... it is quite possible that those couple percents comes from that instead and happen only on some and likely new machines
                Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2016, 12:36 AM.

Comment

There is a store here in Portugal selling the RX460 2GB version for 90€ and RX470 4GB from ASUS Strix for 160,30€!

My CPU is quite old and my monitor is only capable of 900p, so I may end up buying the RX460. I'll just wait a couple of hours before decide what to do, they seem such a great deal.

EDIT: And oh, ASUS dual RX480 4GB version for 188€. Oh God
                  Last edited by MVinhas; 18 December 2016, 03:49 PM.

Comment

So far no problems for me on my new Nitro RX480. Running Kubuntu 16.10 with oibaf PPA and 4.9 kernel. No issues with any of my games and OpenGL performance seems to be the rather close to that in Windows, depending on the program tested. I'm using radeon-profile to control the fan speeds and it even has overclocking (haven't tested that yet). fancontrol (available in the Ubuntu repos) can also control fan speeds for the card, but that takes some time to set up right.
                    There should be some good deals for RX480's these days. Otherwise a RX470 is also a good card if you want something cheaper. RX460 seems too anemic to me but should be fine too.
                    In short, just get a Polaris chip. You will get better support in terms of drivers since lots of new stuff is being done for those cards right now.
                    Last edited by Melcar; 19 December 2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X