AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 vs. RadeonSI Git: Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Some benchmarks look very good for mesa, but basically if you want to play new Linux games today and not in 6 months i would still prefer a green card.
    Nothing to do with time or better drivers, its a simple decision. Just some exotic extensions like bind-less textures and shader cache. It would be nice if we also had partial async compute with OGL like with D3D11.3. Basically one missing extension like bind-less can destroy a game like DeusEX performance like 3x.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

Nothing to do with time or better drivers, its a simple decision. Just some exotic extensions like bind-less textures and shader cache. It would be nice if we also had partial async compute with OGL like with D3D11.3. Basically one missing extension like bind-less can destroy a game like DeusEX performance like 3x.
      Yeah, I agree with you... Why are people here bitching about about switching drivers? For those people you have 3 options, in order of best approach, 1: Wait for radeonsi to develop the needed support, 2: Use nVidia, 3 Game on Windows.... Not one valid option includes gaming on AMD proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Then don't switch and don't dual boot and don't...

This is just Michael running couple tests at this day and time, that does not mean it must be the same for someone else or tomorrow... things are not written on stone so you must follow that
        I'm not referring to the results from this article. There are plenty of game that just do not run(crash), or run extremely poorly on one but not both drivers causing users to need to switch often. Here are just a few of them, Dying Light, all of the Dead Island games, Hero Siege, Shadow Warrior, Mad Max, Metro, Strike Suit Zero, Ark, all of the saints row games, BattleBlock Theatre, Anomaly Warzone Earth.

Comment

The question is how many of those run poorly on the open drivers - AFAIK that is relatively few these days, generally newly released games on which developers haven't yet had a chance to do performance analysis & optimization.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah, I agree with you... Why are people here bitching about about switching drivers? For those people you have 3 options, in order of best approach, 1: Wait for radeonsi to develop the needed support, 2: Use nVidia, 3 Game on Windows.... Not one valid option includes gaming on AMD proprietary driver.
            What about for games like Dying Light, and Dead Island that use compatibility profiles? Those games might never be able to run on the open driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              The question is how many of those run poorly on the open drivers - AFAIK that is relatively few these days, generally newly released games on which developers haven't yet had a chance to do performance analysis & optimization.
              On the Open driver:
              Dying Light and the Dead Island Definitive edition versions require a newer compatibility profile then what is supported by the mesa driver, so they just load up to a black screen. The original Dead Island crashes after choosing a character. Strike Suit Zero, Hero Siege, Battle Block Theater crash at startup. Anomaly has a never ending loading screen(I believe the second game has the same issue).

Shadow Warrior, and the Metro games are much better on the open driver. With Shadow Warrior I get 70-90 FPS compared to around 20 fps on closed with Ultra settings.

Saints Row 3, 4 and Gat out of Hell are a little better on the open driver, but bad performance overall on both depending on what direction you are facing.

Ark seems about the same on both drivers. Around 20-30 fps.

Comment

Is it confirmed that Dying Light & Dead Island Definitive actually *require* compatibility mode operation (ie they mix deprecated and new OpenGL functions) or are they just looking for a compatibility profile out of habit ?

I have heard confident statements both ways
                Test signature

Comment

I'm going by this bug report "https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=96449" when I say that, but I'm not sure if it has been confirmed by techland. I've asked them previously in a support email but they never replied.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    You know very well that the optimizations argument isn't valid today. All the games i have tested run fine, except of those that need bindless and shader cache. Also OGL should have async compute support. Drop the speeches and contribute the extensions. Don't imagine optimization differences.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post

I'm not referring to the results from this article. There are plenty of game that just do not run(crash), or run extremely poorly on one but not both drivers causing users to need to switch often. Here are just a few of them, Dying Light, all of the Dead Island games, Hero Siege, Shadow Warrior, Mad Max, Metro, Strike Suit Zero, Ark, all of the saints row games, BattleBlock Theatre, Anomaly Warzone Earth.
                      Reason for switching is nothing but because you have both drivers, so it is because you can do it if you want to but those will always be different as any other, even different versions of a driver differ let alone entirely different ones...

And i don't also refer exactly for this article as that is nothing special for today, really 15 years ago it was the same - you had blob and open drivers back then supporting ATi hardware too and something also work or does not work on one or the other There were no that much games back then nor 10 years ago, but you had same examples like those always

Only what happened recently is that number of native games inflated tramendiosly and issues inflated also of course...i would say proportionaly
                      Last edited by dungeon; 15 December 2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X