AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 vs. RadeonSI Git: Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
    Having to switch daily from open to closed back to open drivers depending on what game I want to play is certainly a bad thing.
    Then don't switch and don't dual boot and don't...

This is just Michael running couple tests at this day and time, that does not mean it must be the same for someone else or tomorrow... things are not written on stone so you must follow that

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      To sum things up, depending on what you play you'll need one driver or another.
      no. depending on driver performance you'll choose game order. while you finish fast ones, driver will be fixed for others

Comment

Some benchmarks look very good for mesa, but basically if you want to play new Linux games today and not in 6 months i would still prefer a green card.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          no. depending on driver performance you'll choose game order. while you finish fast ones, driver will be fixed for others
          This. I refrained from buying Deus Ex because I knew it wouldn't run on my current card, which is a 6870. I doubt it will ever run on this card, but my point is that I am buying games that will run fine on my hardware, drivers included.

Tomb Raider ran pretty good on my card, excepted in some large areas where the FPS count could dip under 30 at times.
          Interestingly, though, turning tesselation on would make most of Lara, as well as the waves, disappear. I finished it in a couple of long game sessions (maybe 3*7h, I don't remember exactly), and the performance always got somewhat sluggish near the end. Rebooting the game solved the issue, each time.

TR is one of these "console ports" where running at sub-60 is acceptable, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            TR is one of these "console ports" where running at sub-60 is acceptable, in my opinion.
            There even sub 30 is acceptable... XBOne actually never goes above 30 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Some benchmarks look very good for mesa, but basically if you want to play new Linux games today and not in 6 months i would still prefer a green card.
              Which new games? Tomb Raider was released for Linux 3 years after original release and when you attempt to port something newish like DExMD it struggle on nVidia too and require 30% faster hardware than Windows verision to get similar results . When on AMD hardware using blob you wanna about 40% faster hardware and with open it would be halfed or it might touch blob if optimized, etc...

On average Linux gaming is 60% alcohol and if game is old and fast enough you don't care as you already have fast enough hardware from future
              Last edited by dungeon; 15 December 2016, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                lol. rottr is far from playable with low frame rates. I don't think it was very different in tr2013. However, I haven't played it for quite some time, I should test this.

Nice to see that Mesa progress, but what's actually wrong with the pro gl driver and TR?
                Still waiting for some rottr vulkan port

Comment

dungeon

The funny thing is, even if you have got enough money, you can not buy 40 % faster AMD hardware today. But in theory you could get a GTX 1080 or faster. It still might be only enough for 1080p.

So you basically suggest not to play those games or use Windows? Many new ports are more than 10 % faster with Nvidia at the beginning (if you are lucky this changes over time) usually compared to similar AMD cards.

Btw. TR ran ok, not really fast, but playable as single user game with my GTX 650 Ti at 1920x1200. I never used Windows to complete the game. Also Dirt Showdown works great, but if you want to play newer games with more FX you should consider certainly faster hardware.

Comment

basically if you prefer a green card, you are better off playing on windows anyway. but then you prefer a red card unless you are nvidiot http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-23.html
                    Last edited by pal666; 15 December 2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

dungeon The funny thing is, even if you have got enough money, you can not buy 40 % faster AMD hardware today.
                      The funny thing is that some guy gotta Doom working on Linux using you can't guess what - none of these AMD drivers nor even nvidia but FGLRX

https://steamcommunity.com/app/37972...1995402132325/

You see there, day one support on one year old driver
                      Last edited by dungeon; 15 December 2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X